Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MISSING OR CORRUPT HAL.DLL FILE

• Please log in to reply

oreofudge

oreofudge

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

When starting up the following message appears:

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT:
<WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL
PLEASE REINSTALL A COPY OF THE ABOVE FILE.

This happens at normal start up or trying to start up in safe mode.

Any help will be very much apprecaited.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Insert winXp CD and repair ur installation using "recovery console". In the Recovery Console copy the hal.dll from the CD to ur "windows\system32" folder

Edited by darth_ash, 11 July 2005 - 08:23 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Before you do that, try this:

Boot from Windows xp CD and choose R to enter the recovery console

at the prompt, type
Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

If that does not work, reboot again and enter the recovery console

type

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll.

(this assumes you have a single harddrive and your cd-rom drive is D:

Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD if it is different

restart your PC

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
gerryf,

Was able to follow your instructions up to DEL C:\BOOT.INI, but after entering BOOTCFG /REBUILD it displayed an error message that said: FAILED TO SUCCESFULLY SCAN DISKS FOR WINDOWS INSTALLATIONS. THIS ERROR MAY BE CAUSED BY A CORRUPT FILE SYSTEM, WHICH WOULD PREVENT BOOTCFG FROM SUCCESFULLY SCANNING. USE CHKDSK TO DETECT ANY DISK ERRORS.

So I ran CHKDSK and it FOUND ONE OR MORE ERRORS ON THE VOLUME, then displayed the following info but didn't showed any particular error:

190322996 kb total disk space
169130672 kb are available
4096 bytes in each allocation unit
47580749 total allocation units on disk
42282668 allocation units available on disk

Since your first instructions didn't seem to work, after rebooting I ran the second as you suggested and it displayed the following message: UNABLE TO CREATE FILE HAL.DLL...

I also tried darth_ash's suggestion and it kept displaying a message saying ACCESS DENIED until I changed the file's attributes, finally copied the HAL.DLL but the problem continues, when restarting with the puter's system it says that HALL.DLL is either missing or corrupt and that it must be replaced...

Further help will be appreciated, but I am thinking that if not able to fix it, I will retrieve the hard drive from that puter and install it as a slave in another to try and save the data, then will reformat it and reinstall winXP...

I will be waiting for your response, thanks once again!

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download hal.dll from here.
Unzip the zip file containing it. Copy it to a floopy. And put it in ur system32 folder.

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
darth_ash,

Followed your instructions with no luck so decided to retrieve the hard drive and now its installed as a slave in another puter, I am able to view the files in the drive and trying to save some data.

I will wait for further instructions before reformating it.

Thanks in advance...

royalprince

royalprince

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Corrupted DLL files makes the Windows file inaccessible which stops Windows process. It needs to fix as soon as possible so that you can fix corrupted DLL files issue. But sometimes it becomes difficult to resolve this issue manually. Automatic steps might be helpful in this regard. System file get corrupted generally due to virus or wrong registry files. HAL.dll files plays an important role to run Windows files. To fix DLL error you should use DLL repair tool.