Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware Problem Here and Dirty Volume C

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Carol C.

Carol C.

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I got this message today from Geeks to Go and therefore am following your protocol and changing topics. Here is the message directly below and following *******my history:
From your tech support:
This is not correct forum for malware issues.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

I (Carol C.) kept getting a blank screen upon restarting my computer when it wouldn't hook up to the internet. I went to F1 to continue, blank screen. THen I hit F2 for Set up and changed something to default (I wish I wrote that down). Upon getting in that time the computer did a chk disk function and said I had a dirty volume C. Same black screen after, but I got in at that point by hitting F8 (safe mode) but chose instead to run it in normal window mode.
Upon getting in running normal Windows (XP) finally, I ran Malwarebytes AntiMalware and it said that I had gotten a Trojan ZLOB I believe with this report as logged:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1430
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/2/2009 10:06:31 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-02 (22-06-31).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 79820
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Cornwell\My Documents\My Music\My Music.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Cornwell\My Documents\My Pictures\My Pictures.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Cornwell\My Documents\My Videos\My Video.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Cornwell\My Documents\My Documents.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

So I put it Smitfraud.exe on a CD-R and put this computer in Safemode and ran it as directions said. Then I shut down and restarted the computer (different no desktop pic screen as before- meant it worked) and then I went to an older restore point from 2 days ago. In any case every time I restarted this is what happened, although the internet and regular windows now runs:
When restarted I get this message:
"Diskette Drive 0 seek failure
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup."

(I think I got the above as explained as before, for changing the 'setup'- F2 - something to default at the beginning.)
So I pressed F1, and big blank black screen, nothing each time. So I pressed F8 a number of times, and then I chose to start windows normally again.

Upon startup I got:
"The procedure entry point apsSearchInterface could not be located in the dynamic link libray wlanapi.dll." and
"The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll."

SO this needs fixing yet:
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup."

Dirty Volume still?? needs fixing

Do I need to run Smitfraud.exe again since I restored it to a 'bad' restore point, I think?? Is the Malware issue resolved?

I can get the computer out of safe mode and regular windows, but I think there is some that needs cleaning up.

Thank you much for your help here! Re: OTListIt2 log I feel I need to have more help here as to how to run it.
smile.gif Carol

Advertisements

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
The seek failure looks like it's just a configuration error from within the BIOS Setup. Go back into your setup and check to see if your computer is trying to load your floppy drive before your hard drive, if you've even got a floppy drive installed. Try removing the Floppy Drive from the boot list if it is on there. If you can't find your way around doing it, it's not really a big problem. Your computer is just trying to look for a floppy disk upon startup.

And your other error. If you just started receiving that error after doing a system restore, then it is only your registry telling your computer to look for a something that is no longer on your computer. Try opening up msconfig by going to your Start Menu and clicking on Run. Once the Run box opens up type in msconfig. The msconfig window should open up, so now you can click on the Startup tab and choose what you want started or removed from startup. Look for anything that would be related to those two files, or that would be related to any malware that may have been on your computer. After doing that, Click OK and restart your computer.

Carol C.

Carol C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I was not able to resolve the seek failure at all; I did try to put both the BIOS CMOS settings to default. On the priority for bootup, this is what is listed:
Removable Device Priority- press enter
Hard Disk Book Priority - press enter
First Boot Device {Removable}
Second Boot Device {Hard Disk}
3rd Boot Device {CD Rom}
Boot Other Device {Enabled}

Prior to that: CPU Feature {Press Enter}
Boot Up Num Lock Status {on}

I am still getting this message every time I start the computer:
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup." If I press F1 I get a blank screen. If I then press F8 I am able to go into 'start windows normally'.
In addition, I went to msconfig from the start-run menu and to the start up tab. I unchecked many unnecessary items, and still have the message telling me
"The procedure entry point apsSearchInterface could not be located in the dynamic link libray wlanapi.dll." But I don't have this message :) anylonger:
"The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll."

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You were advised (http://www.geekstogo...ml#entry1576175) to start new topic in malware section, not here.
Topic closed.