Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft ofc 97

• Please log in to reply

bkelran

bkelran

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi There

I am installing again a version of microsoft office 97 back onto a friends puter for them
someone wiped her computer out so i have fixed most of it
just this last program to load so i can upgrade it to 06 for her later
it goes thru the setup okay then it gives me an error saying it can not create
registry key htmlmarq.ocx
is there a way for me to manually fix this or is there another fix??

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go Here
The link will take you to the Office forum where they can assist you with your issue.

bkelran

bkelran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Again

I starteda topic at the other link you gave me without any responses
i looked up other registry topics.
i didn't find anything there i could use some of the steps i found is pointing me in the right direction
i'm just afraid to mess with the system registry with out every step ineed
i have an upgrade from 97 to 06 version but i can't install it till i get the 97 to load could you help me out?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First download Erunt in my signature below. Run the program. This is what it is and why I'm siuggesting you do this first before you do the next steps. Failure to do so may cause problems that may include being unstable or unusable.

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

After you have doen the above then :

Go to
Start>Run>type in regedit>>> click enter

On the left side navigate to the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

On the right
You should see htmlmarq.ocx and htmlmm.ocx separate keys. Rename them to something else, ie. htmlmarq.tmp and htmlmm.tmp.

You will now be able to install Office 97, including the HTML option, without incident.

I don't know what this section of the registery does or why these files were apparently blocked (intentionally or accidently), but this solution worked flawlessly for me. If you feel uncomfortable, I'm betting you can rename the keys back to the originals and office will work, but if you need to reinstall, you'll possibly have to rename them again.

bkelran

bkelran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you
That Worked like a champ!! :) :)
if it's okay i like to put your response over at the other topic so if anyone else has had this problem this can help them

Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thats perfectly fine with me. Anything we do here at GTG is to help and if it will help others then please do.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible