Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003/2007

• Please log in to reply

xtremenorthwest

xtremenorthwest

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About 6 months ago I backup office outlook 2003, now I want to import those file to my current office outlook 2003 without over writing the mail files I have now. How do I do that? So other words the new and the old files together as one.
This is how I back my files up
I export the registry settings from my current Outlook profiles subkey in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles
And copy the following folders from your current user profile directories. (this assumes your PST files are in the default Microsoft locations).
%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook to the equivalent directories for your user on the new machine. Import the registry file on the new machine. Install (if necessary) and I launch Outlook on the new machine and I was good to go.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi xtremenorthwest. Welcoem to Geeks to Go!

To import the files into your current Outlook structure: Open Outlook. Click File, Import/Export, Import from another file/program, scroll to Personal Folder File (PST). On the next screen, click Browse to find your old file. Also, you probably want to check "Do not import duplicates", since you don't want to overwrite anything (Contacts, possibly Calendar entries). The next screen deals with where to import the file in your current structure. The safest and most fool-proof choice is "Import into the same folder in" and then open the drop-down box and choose your Personal Folders. This will import Contacts into the Contacts folder, Calendar into the Calendar folder, Deleted items into the Delete folder under your Personal Folder.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I just saw your topic - Outlook 2003/2007. I haven't upgraded and don't have access to a computer running Office 2007 yet. I'm not sure the commands are the same. I'll have to do some additional checking. If you check this thread before I post again, please let me know if you were able to import your file.