Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor White out?

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Hello, when ever I turn off my monitor for an extended amount of time, then turn it back on, the screen will be completely white. Now, I know it isn't the computers problem because when I unplug the VGA, it would still be white.
I would have to shake the monitor alot and constantly replug the power for it to "un-white". Could someone tell me the problem? I don't want to get a new monitor if I don't have to, because other than the whiting out issues, this is an magnificent monitor. Also because I bought it for $300...

I took it to Best buy and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either...

My warranty is also over on it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well I doubt Im going to have the same success in this thread as your last but I will share my thoughts.

First is contrast / brightness settings, try and adjust them to make sure they are not out of whack.
Second is if your monitor has a auto adjust, try that.
Third, power try plugging the monitor into another wall socket, preferably on a different circuit.
Fourth, ususally LCD monitors use the same power cord as computer power supplies, try swapping the power cords.
Fifth would be to plug everything in, turn it on and see if lightly "jiggling" the power and vga cable, makes any difference.

If none of these yield any sort of change even slight good or bad, then my gut assumption is that its the LCD bulb or a general LCD failure. Maybe you can find a repair shop to look at it, something local that actually repairs stuff, not a box store like circuit city or best buy. Sometimes the phone directory can yield someone who repairs electronics.

Unfortunately this is all I have for now. Im going to sleep on it, let me know if anything above helps or not.

Edited by jaxisland, 28 August 2008 - 07:28 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I switched it already to another socket. Its now sitting where I plan to do school stuff when school starts.
I also accidentally used the PC power cord on accident once when in was moving them down stairs.. still problem.
Don't think its a connection problem with the cables, because I screwed in the VGA and the power plug won't budge without a forceful pull.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
In my research on this tonight it seems that no one followed through for a fix, or at least didnt post it. Ive seen people complain of this issue and it being, the bulb, power supply, cicuit board parts, to just throwing it away.

Obviously tossing it isnt a good idea but Im definitely stumped on this one. Whats the make and model?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Westinghouse LCM 22w2

I've been trying to fix this problem for months... in fact, since the beginning of summer.

Thanks for helping me.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My concerns maybe coming true with this one, its not a solution but it may lead you to where this is going to end up. Check out the link below.

So I guess my point is....if you see the white screen treat it like a strange and unsettling death omen.....the resolution handicap was next, and then ....nothing.....nothing....it was just gone....like it had never had a soul in the first place....Goodbye my friend....goodbye 22w2....we barely even had time to know you

Source

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I've seen that thread too. But My monitor doesnt seem to have any resolution problems at all.

Then again... I haven't really used the monitor in over 3 months...

Well, then time to bargain hunt!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Heres a couple links:

Newegg

TigerDirect

Sorry I couldnt be more help.