Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor wont display anything after installing new HD

• Please log in to reply

Alaster

Alaster

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
My old HD started having problems a while ago, so i went out and bought a new WD 500G SATA HD. I installed it today and after installing i turned my computer back on and the disk spins up, the computer beeps as normal, the disk useage lights up at the front of the computer, but the display wont work (not my monitor at fault).
I checked all connections and the RAM, but it still wont display anything on the monitor. Since the new HD wont work, I tried connecting the old HD which previously had display, now has the same problem. I'm thinking when I installed the new HD I may have moved something like the video card or something(even though the video card securely in the slot.. Weird) Im pretty sure its only the display that isnt working because i can tell that even though theres no display, the Hard Drive and Windows 7 CD ROM is still spinning when it boots and I can boot it to the disk (still with no display, just the CD Drive spinning really fast). If anyone could help me solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

The new type of Harddrive is a WD 5000AAKS SATAII.
Is SATA II a 'plug and play' easy to install HD?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The first thing (besides checking cabled, including any necessary power cables the card may need) is to swap monitors with another machine. If the problem follows your monitor, you know your monitor is bad. If the second monitor does not work on your computer, you know the problem is in your PC.

Depends on the OS and how it is connected.

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

The first thing (besides checking cabled, including any necessary power cables the card may need) is to swap monitors with another machine. If the problem follows your monitor, you know your monitor is bad. If the second monitor does not work on your computer, you know the problem is in your PC.

Depends on the OS and how it is connected.

already did that. Its not the monitor because i tried it with 2 different ones. I dont think it is the video card either because i plugged the DVI cable into the video card, and I tried the VGA cable which is conected directly to the motherboard, still nothing.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I dont think it is the video card either because i plugged the DVI cable into the video card, and I tried the VGA cable which is conected directly to the motherboard, still nothing.

That does not prove anything because on-board graphics are typically disabled when a card is installed on most motherboards. You would have to go into the BIOS and enable the on-board.

Note that many new graphics cards require separate power connectors directly to the card, or via a supplemental connector to the motherboard.

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I dont think it is the video card either because i plugged the DVI cable into the video card, and I tried the VGA cable which is conected directly to the motherboard, still nothing.

That does not prove anything because on-board graphics are typically disabled when a card is installed on most motherboards. You would have to go into the BIOS and enable the on-board.

Note that many new graphics cards require separate power connectors directly to the card, or via a supplemental connector to the motherboard.

so it could be the video card not connected somewhere then? I will check this when i get home. Any thing else i should check?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

so it could be the video card not connected somewhere then?

I would suspect a power connection from the power supply was knocked loose. Check your card manual for required connections, and your motherboard manual too.

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

so it could be the video card not connected somewhere then?

I would suspect a power connection from the power supply was knocked loose. Check your card manual for required connections, and your motherboard manual too.

There is no way that the hard drive could have messed the computer up? If it is loading to the CD then the mother board is still good?

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i read that the CPU pins could be bent, and to do something with the jumpers on the new HD. Would these methods help me?
And checking the back of the cpu voltage.
and is there something wrong with my PS?

Edited by Alaster, 02 November 2009 - 02:39 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i read that the CPU pins could be bent,

And how would that happen? Did you remove the heat sink fan assembly, unlatch the CPU locking mechanism, then remove the CPU?

As for jumpers, is your computer used in an enterprise environment? If not, leave the jumpers alone.

and is there something wrong with my PS?

Don't know. You need to verify the cables first.

And checking the back of the cpu voltage.

Huh?