Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple people opening same Word doc

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am in a domain enviorment with shared folders. We use Office 2002 and when someone tries to open a document someone else has open, it will open in Read only which is expected and fine. But It will have a dialog box that opens up and says "This document is open by 'another user'

Sometimes "another user" will have someones initials and sometimes it wont. Where do I go to get this fixed. Sorry if I am confusing ask if you dont undersand.

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi jaxisland.

When it doesn't show someone's initials, what does it show?

I'm wondering if when Office was installed and Word was opened for the first time, if that user didn't put in his/her name and initials. To check, open Word and go to the Tools menu, Options, User Information tab.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
When I check the User Information the initials are JonD.

But it still says 'another user'

These office installs have been in place for more than a year.

Thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I did a detect and repair, verified the User Information was there afterwards, and now it seems to be working.

Thanks.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Odd... but good to know :whistling: Thanks for posting the follow-up.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well the problem is back with different users. I checked the author info and one was a new install of office and it the documents always report the wrong information about who has what open.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks