Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer keeps on restarting. (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA)

• Please log in to reply

m7cast

m7cast

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
First off, I am a n00b. Please help.

My computer is plagued with problems. I always get this BSOD:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and BAD_POOL_CALLER.

Also, I always get these random screens during startup:

0X0000008E (0X80000004, 0X804D790E, 0XF719D8C0, 0X00000000)
0XC00000050 (0X8016BS34, 0X00000000, 0X805831D9, 0X00000000)
0X000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X0214000A, 0X80B89628)
0x0000005c

My computer always restarts itself without warning, for example while I am running Adobe Illustrator.

Also, I always get these files in the error reporting service:
appcompat.txt
sysdata.xml

Running:
AMD Sempron 2400+
ASUS A7V400-MX
Maxtor 40GB IDE HDD
nVidia geForce FX 5500 128 MB DDR.
256MB DDR RAM PC400

I just bought the processor and motherboard about 5 months ago. Same with the video card.
The hard drive is about 6 years old. I have tested the RAM with memtest; no problems whatsoever. What could be the problem?

Also, can partitions on a hard drive cause bad sectors? I have 20 gigs each partitioned on the 40 GB hard drive. I am super OC when it comes to viruses and spyware, so I always reformat every chance I can get.

Please help. I am running out of options. I have a major project nearing its deadline and my computer restarts itself every 5 minutes or so. Tsk.

Advertisements

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
A bad pool caller usually references driver problems. In your case, it is trying to allocate a pool at an incorrect IRQL in memory.

Combine that with the Page Fault, which means that a program tried to reference an invalid memory address, and it suggests that you might have a rogue driver on your computer.

In specific, do me a favor and look in your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers for an unusual file with a .SYS extension. Let's start there, because that's the easiest place to start. If you find one, you will have to rename it, which you may have to do in safe mode.

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks.

Let's see... C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
There's just a bunch of stuff in here... with many file names. (such as cdaudio, fastfat, etc.)
Then there are two folders: (disdn) and (etc).

sorry! i'm not too good with this stuff... :whistling:

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok. One thing I just noticed is that you do not have the latest SP and patches installed. Do that before anything else.

Then, look for a .SYS file in that directory with an apparently random filename. Before you go renaming any of them, list them here and I will try to help you.

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Also, XP boots up in about 10 freaking minutes.

Searching through online forums, people say that it could be a sign of a hardware failure.

We do not use HJT outside the Malware Removal Forum

Any help would be appreciated.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I don't see anything wrong with that logfile really. I still think the problem might be a rogue driver... List all .sys files in the drivers directory with what appears to be a random file name like xyewse.sys or whatever.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
M7cast, Welcom to GeekstoGo. I have looked at your information. you have the possiblity of several issues. That error means bad hardware or a bad driver. Bassed on the related info included I have a course of action for you.

Lets start with a memory test. go to http://memtestx86.org/

Here is some pre-compiled distributions of memtest86+. Memtest86+ comes in three different way, first is a pre-build bootable ISO, second is a bootable binary and third an installable package for creating a bootable floppy. Third version are compressed in .zip and .tar.gz.

** Memtest86+ V1.65 (10/01/2005) **

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

The test results will tell us if you have bad memory. Please post the results here once you've completed the test.

thanks,
Starajax