Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"NTLDR is missing" with a splash of stupid

• Please log in to reply

Johnny_mac

Johnny_mac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Custom built
120Gigs worth of HDs (2)
2.5 Gigs of Ram
Pentium 64
6800GT video card
Windows XP Home Edition OS

I know this topic has come up before but I think i fouled it up beyond any solutions I have come across so far...

I'm currently having an issue with my desktop. Upon booting it up I get a screen with the following message

"NTLDR is missing....Press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

Through Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console I have attempted to copy the needed files from my Boot disc as instructed on several sites that I have visited...but of course I get the message
"Access Denied"

I have tried the LOGON commmand in an attempt to get the prompts...
"Which Installation would you like to log onto?"
and
"Type Administrator Password:"

But they Won't come up

I have changed the BIOS boot priorities around from CD-ROM to each of the HDs I have(Another solution suggested on the web) and back to CD-ROM. Didn't work.

I believe this is all a result from me not following through when I recently formated/installed Windows XP Home Edition on my HD (which I have done in the past with no issue).
What I did....
1) I completed a full reformatting/set up and got to the Windows Installation screen and realized I picked the wrong HD
2) I rebooted in the process of windows installing and started the reformating again
3) 4% into the 2nd reformating/set up I realized I did it again (ugh) and rebooted
4) for the third time when I booted from disc and selected
"To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER"
and Agreeing to the Terms of Microsoft I get the message

"Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. To continue, Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product".
"Please insert one of the following Windows product CDs into the CD-ROM drive: Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, etc"

I open and close my CD-ROM with my Valid Windows XP Home Edition boot disc and got the same message.

I highly doubt that the CD-ROM is having issues reading my Boot disc considering it worked 5 minutes before and the Disc itself is in fine condition.

Given the information above (Sorry about being so long-winded) I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions.

Any Help is appreciated.

-John M

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there Johnny_mac and welcome to Geeks To Go

The error message you are getting is telling me your operating system is corrupt and needs to be repaired, please follow my instructions carefully to resolve this problem.

First of all please see this post by admin.

I would like to add to this by saying a few more things, when you have loaded your cd-rom and accepted the Licence Agreement and pressed R to do the repair when you restart it will look like it is doing a fresh install, please do not worry as this is normal. After 5minutes or so you will be asked to input your langauge options, account name, licence key etc..... after you have done that it will continue to do the repair, once completed it will restart.

Upon restart you can start to configure a few settings, please note do NOT create a new account if asked as you will lose all your data just skip that step and continue, you may get asked to or you may not but if you do don't. I have done loads of repairs and I have seen this many of times :) sometimes it asks and sometimes it doesn't :)

Once all that is done you are good to go :)

Let us all know how you get along

Edited by wizzy2k5, 04 June 2008 - 06:38 PM.