Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help

• Please log in to reply

not_soo_geek

not_soo_geek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
My name is David and I founded a Non-Profit charity organisation. I want to start the website and I don't know what is the best solution. I want a professionnal website (bilingual (french and english)) and with some videos and animations/slideshows. Should I start it using Dreamweaver or Frontpage?
Should I use a pre-made template or it's not too complicated to do my own? I will have 5 months from January (between HS and university) to work on it and I am pretty good with computers (the basic stuff).
Also, if anybody knows about online courses to learn about starting my own website. If anybody has other suggestions (I'm on a limited budgetso I can't pay someone to do it)
Thanks in advance, David :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I don't recommend using any Micro$oft Web Page editing tools like FrontPage, Word, etc.. What tools do you have already to start with? You mentioned Dreamweaver. No problem with Dreamweaver other then the learning curve. Plus, it makes layouts using layers on the CSS.

Do you have access to any books on HTML/CSS coding? Some online tutorials:
Full Web Building Tutorials - All Free
Tutorials/Forums
Web Tutorials
CSS Tutorials
CSS Tutorial - Table of contents

Most pre-made templates I've seen use tables. That is outdated and a no-no. Tables are for tabular data and not for page layout. That's where CSS comes in. Also, it would be good to code semantically. If you don't want to do your own template, try to find a good one that doesn't use tables.

Ron