Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help deleting obsolete msconfig entries

• Please log in to reply

dkellermann

dkellermann

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
This isn't really a problem, but it bothers me :)

There are entries in my msconfig for programs that I have deleted and I don't know how to remove them from msconfig.
I searched through the registry for 'em but nothing is found...
msconfig>services lists PureNetworks Platform Service
msconfig>startup lists [1](blank) Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
[2]nmapp c:\program files\PureNetworks\Network magic\nmapp.exe
[3] nmctxth c:\program files\common files\PureNetworks shared\platform\nmctxth.exe

Since I'm here (pushing my luck?) I found a few empty folders in the registry ('781', CDDB, Google, xpProRepair2007, Mr.Enigma to name a few). Can I just delete these? I searched on my computer for them, but again, no results. They are all named 'default'; type is REG_SZ and data (value not set) in the reg.

Thanks!
Diane

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Diane,

I would suggest looking through your add/remove programs folder first to see if "Network Magic"is still on that list. If it is then simply uninstall it.

Also check for an uninstall program in this folder: c:\program files\PureNetworks\Network magic

As for the registry, I wouldn't suggest changing any entries in the registry whatsoever without being very familiar with how the registry works and its various keys and sections. The smallest mistake can kill your system.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
If nothing turns up after doing what Mich said-
here is a program among many that can clean your msconfig-

http://www.get-in-co...config-cleanup/

just be careful what you remove-you may want it back

Mich is quite correct about the registry, danger even for experienced techs.

Edited by cmpm, 25 February 2008 - 11:51 AM.

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Add/Remove programs was the way I deleted the Pure Networks, and then I manually deleted the folder that was left behind.

I know to back up the registry before I start messing with it :)

cmpm - thanks for the link, have you used this msconfig cleanup yourself?

Thank you both

Diane

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you uninstalled the programs and deleted the folders manually I wouldn't go any further then using a good cleaner. Download CCleaner and run it, as is, on Cleaner and Registry options. Backup the registry when prompted to so. Run both options a number of times until there is nothing left to be cleaned.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Good advice and should fix the problem.
Yes I have used that program.
But a good cleaner works even better.

Ccleaner has a new version out recently-

http://filehippo.com...nload_ccleaner/

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I already use CCleaner, and while it did clean out the obsolete registry entries, it doesn't get them out of msconfig. I don't know where else to look for these entries...guess they're in there till I reinstall xp :)

Diane

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
http://www.glaryutil....com/index.html

Try this set of utilities Diane.
The cleaner and Registry cleaner.

Any 'optimizing and improving' usually just adds more startup services that are not needed when the optimiziong and improving can be done through the regular windows tools.

I just use the two cleaners and the shortcut fixer.
And it can show you what is in your startup, but you already know how to do that with msconfig.

Edited by cmpm, 27 February 2008 - 10:11 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
And I do use this on a fairly regular maintenance schedule.
I think perhaps the startup manager can help you as it may list those things you want to get rid of.

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Glary Utilities did find the Pure Networks (nmctxth) and deleted it. It didn't show the other one (nmapp) but it's gone too! Still have the one in services (I hate services) but I can live with it...

Glary also found 460 registry problems! I've been running CCleaner every day and it didn't find these :)

(I did get both the pms)

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
you may be able to find the one in services

Control Panel
Administration Tools
Services

Or click Start-Run-type in 'services.msc'

Here you have all your services listed.
See if it's in there.
If it's set to auto, you can stop the service and see how your computer does without it.
If you are not sure of disabling an automatic service, set it to manual and check it later to see if it fired up.

If you are sure you want to disable the service, stop it first, then disable it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

here is a program among many that can clean your msconfig-

http://www.get-in-co...config-cleanup/

just be careful what you remove-you may want it back

I have also used this program to clean out msconfig of those entries that just wont go. As warned, do not remove any that you still have programs for and that you have unchecked to not auto start. You may want them later.

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
PureNetwork is disabled, even when on auto it doesn't start.

Get-in-Control gives me 2 blank entries (just boxes to check) when PureNtworks is checked in msconfig, and 3 when it's not. I'm not to confident about deleting things I have no info on... will do that later today when I have the time. (in case it causes problems to my system)

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
If you are not confident to remove these then you may want to post this in the Malware forum along with a 'hijack this' log.

Do this first-

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Then post in the forum-

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

I'm quite sure it will show up in the hijackthis log and these folks at that thread can help you more professionally.

Though I do have another program that might help, it would also be a bit intimidating.
The Malware and Hijackthis pros may take a day or three to get to you but they will.

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
OK... I found a vup(something-or-other) virus on my computer; once I got rid of that, the blank entries disappeared :)

The only place I still have Pure Networks is in my services, and I'm not going to mess around in there; just leave it disabled.

Thanks again,
Diane