Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Troubleshooting Startup Errors

• Please log in to reply

The_Legend

The_Legend

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey all. Here's the deal:

I have a custom built computer that I've been using for two years now, never had a software problem.
I'm running on:
ABIT KV8 Pro Motherboard
1 GIG Kingston RAM
Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
ATI Radeon x800 Pro Video Card

Symptoms:
When I attempt to start my computer in normal mode it enters an infinite loop of attempted start ups. I have verbose mode turned on, so the last thing that shows on the screen before boot up starts over is a verification that the file system has been checked and that there are no errors.
When I turned off "automatically restart after failed attempt" I got a STOP code of 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) followed by four more STOP codes in parantheses that vary.
The system then performed a memory dump.

What I did last:
I got home from college and my parents have just installed FIOS and a new wireless router, so I needed to install a wireless card. After I installed it properly, I was frustrated with how slow and buggy it was, so I uninstalled it. That was the last time my computer was in normal mode; since then it won't start up in normal mode.
I also installed updated drivers for my video card during that bootup

Other Details:
Because this was custom built i dont have an installation cd for windows xp. If necessary i can scrounge one up in my family.
I tried almost every solution on the windows website that corresponds to this stop code but none of them match my problem.
There is one solution that HALF answers my problem: the kernel32.dll may be missing or damaged, which would require me to use recovery services from the windows xp cd. I'm not sure if this is true though, because the system still starts in safe mode (isn't a good kernel32.dll file needed for startup in safe mode?)
I tried a "clean boot" (disabling all services and startup programs), but this did not help either.
The bootup process never makes it to the logon screen.
I have removed my sound card and network cards and checked the memory by using post codes. All the hardware is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Addendum:

I also tried two separate restore points using safe mode that did not alleviate the problem. I think the restore could also be a cause of said problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC to BIOS set up and load BIOS defaults, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've been using the "fail-safe" bios defaults rather than "optimized" defaults.

This hasn't changed the bootup problem any.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What makes you feel kernel32 is missing

Have you got the XP CD and product key

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The computer was custom built, so I never received a CD, it came preinstalled. I do however have the CD/OEM key. It's legitimate and legal.

One of the suggested solutions on the windows help and support mentioned the kernel32 as the cause of similar problems. It didn't mention the STOP code that I got, but since this was the closest solution on the windows website that I can't immediately try, I thought it might be relevant.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the computer start in safe mode / safe mode with networking

Can you borrow an XP CD (same version)

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The computer starts in both safe mode and safe mode with networking.

I called a family member and asked them to ship the windows xp pro cd to me, but that'll be a few days. There's no way to download/burn a cd, or just the recovery services, is there?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save this, using safe mode with networking

http://www5.spread-i...9e872b4cc94616c

Run through post 23 here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=770779

Once you have both downloads saved to the hard drive, run cat uninstaller, reboot, install the ATI drivers

Have you got .net framework installed

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
.net framework was installed. I don't remember why, but I remember it was necessary for some program or game I wanted to use.

Downloading and running the uninstaller process now

Advertisements

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I ran the cat-uninstaller in safe mode and rebooted after it completed, the system still hangs up and restarts at the same point.

I'll try installing the most recent drivers now, but I don't think that'll fix it...
To clarify: I didn't have any of the obvious video errors that Dario did, no messages like "out of range", the only similarity was being unable to run in anything other than safe mode, as well as ati drivers.

Well, uninstalling the drivers did something. Right now it's presumably restarted into normal mode, and automatically logged into the new user account I created.

This presents new problems, lol (don't they all)
I created another user account to check and make sure that one accoutn hadn't been corrupted. This is the first time I ever created an administrator account, and now I cannot log into the "Administrator" account... should I just bite the bullet and uninstall/reinstall everything on this account? I've heard it's bad practice to only log onto the computer with the default administrator account

Edited by The_Legend, 28 August 2006 - 05:07 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you updated the drivers when you made the other changes, re-installing now will clear those from the list of possibles

You are probably looking at running this when you get the CD, you need to use your product key

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
RE: the recent edit to post 11

Try logging in with the default account then see if you can change the permissions on the one you created

The_Legend

The_Legend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Keith!

I removed the other account I created and I am now back on my regular account in normal mode.

It WAS the display drivers, as you suspected

I'm running through and reinstalling drivers, applying updates that I had removed by using system restore, etc.

After I get this all back up and running, do you still suggest I use the repair on the XP CD?

Are there any other programs you suggest for computer management/clean up?

Thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can get the PC running acceptably then leave the repair install

This is a way to clean and tweak

If you go on to purchase Tune Up then they allow you to use the same product key to install it on any PC you use, good if you have a few machines

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor