Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help W/ Mixing Old Plus Cash For New Compute

• Please log in to reply

Audiowizard

Audiowizard

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So, for my birthday my Gf offered to pay to have my computer ungraded (The I.T. guy at her dad's company will do it for us). The budget would be $1000. The items I think I can reuse from my machine is

Case
Floppy Drive
Ethernet Card
Hard Drive
Speakers
other basic computer stuff

The Items I would like for this machine is

DVD Burner
Nice Motherboard, Processor RAM (I watch alot of downloaded TV Shows, that seems to slow things down right now)
TV Tuner (To plug my cable into and use as homemade Tivo)

What ever is Left over in Budget goes to a new Flat Panel

Questions because I know little and am humble in your presents.

1) Would it be better to get a New Video card and Monitor so I have DVI? My card now is ok enough to play the few games I play.

2)I have a dvd player and a 24x cd buner. Does the dvd burner also play dvds and burn CDR?

And I'm sure i'm forgetting stuff so i'm leaning on you guys to think of those things and help me out....

Thanks in Advance

AW

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well a dvd burner does everything so no need to worry about that. If i had that amount money i would get a new gfx card to keep up with new releases which are making a big jump in the power they need.

TV tuner is a nice thing to have in a new computer im getting one to put my sky into the new pc for my room.

You will want a new powersupply 400W minimum aim for 500W.

Get an nforce4 mobo or one of the newer ati200 boards if you want a good one MSI and abit make the best at the moment.
You wont need the ethernet as it is built into most motherboards but ut doesnt hurt to put it in the upgrade.

Your girlfriends paying for this, wow ,really ,lucky you .

Audiowizard

Audiowizard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Well a dvd burner does everything so no need to worry about that. If i had that amount money i would get a new gfx card to keep up with new releases which are making a big jump in the power they need.

TV tuner is a nice thing to have in a new computer im getting one to put my sky into the new pc for my room.

You will want a new powersupply 400W minimum aim for 500W.

Get an nforce4 mobo or one of the newer ati200 boards if you want a good one MSI and abit make the best at the moment.
You wont need the ethernet as it is built into most motherboards but ut doesnt hurt to put it in the upgrade.

Your girlfriends paying for this, wow ,really ,lucky you .

View Post

Alright...more help part II (there is going to be alot coming)

Nforce4?? You mean this one?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135190

For this board (if this actually the one that you're talking about me getting) which processor/RAM do I want/need.

Is this a good TV Tuner for my needs (watch, record through Cable)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815100116

As for dvd burners I have no idea which one I should get...any idea on that would be great.

As for Power supply...would this be good?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148008

Thanks for help so far...after we get the parts all down we can figure out what is left in my budget for a flat panel

AW

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Flat panels are quite cheap now im gettin a 19" neovo for a 190 quid 1280*1024 with 12ms response i cant wait to get it.
Maybe not that mobo never heard of that manufacturer try MSI and ABIT they make the best.
For RAM you want a gig if it corsair make the best and if you look you can get slightly older but still very good xms stuff for the same price as the value ram near enough.
Sony or lite-on samsung also good for dvd burners but there isnt as much difference when it comes down to it between brands.
Your PSU looks fine but i prefer to go with big brands i dont know aspire havent seen them before. Alaska,Antec,Tagan,enermax,zalman and the big daddys ultra-X they are the big high quality brands. Alaska and antec are probably the cheapest.

Looks fine but yank television isnt the same as over here so i dont know if it has got the stuff you need.

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
if you are going to use it by your tv here is the list of parts you need
cpu: Pentium m 1.6ghz
mobo: Aopen 915GMm-HFS
RAM: 1GB Muskin DDR2 PC4200
tv tuner: Happuge Tv Tuner
DVD: Toshiba
Gcard: Sapphire x800xl
Case: Antec Aria