Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help on Buying a DVD Burner

• Please log in to reply

harko5

harko5

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm looking to buy an external DVD burner off of eBay. It's an NEC. I asked if it would do what I want it to do (IE: copy unprotected dvd's, etc.) The seller said yes. It says that it will work if you have an open USB 1 or 2, preferably 2. I have 2 open USB 1's.

Here's my question. Does my 5 year old Compaq have enough of everything to handle it. I have very few programs on it.
700 megahertz 32 KB primary memory Cache 128 KB secondary memory cache. 64 Megabyte installed memory, one slot empty. 9.90 gigaytes usable hard drive 6.22 GB free space. Windows ME.
Any input willl be greatly appreciated.
Ken

Edited by harko5, 11 June 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't think your USB1 port will be up to the task of transferring data to the dvd-writer fast enough -- this will cause the data buffer to become empty and you will just end up with useless dvd discs that cannot be read. I recommend you upgrade to USB2 by fitting a USB2 PCI card
before you start creating any dvd discs.