Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Issue: Joining two LANs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

medianox

medianox

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

I have a networking problem that may be very simple. I am not exactly a "pro" when it comes to this stuff; nonetheless, I've been tasked to reach out and find a solution.

I have done my best to organize the issue on the attached .pdf document. In summary:

We have added a new office (Office B) in the same building. This office has a separate static-IP internet connection. Resources on this network need to be able to access a server and a printer locally in the original office (Office A). We have run a Cat 5e cable (1000ft) between the two offices. This is where my understanding of what needs to happen ends.

See the attached document for the particulars. I have done my best to organize and break down the need in the clearest, simplest way possible with diagrams of all the important components.

I have organized a solution involving remote access via the internet to Office A resources; however, with the file sizes on prints and shared files, this simply will not do. It is important that these connections be LAN.

I am up for any input and appreciate any time in advance that can be afforded in helping me solve this problem.

Thank you in advance,

Taylor

Attached Files

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi medianox
Your 1st problem is cat 5 will only run 100M or 300 ft.
Cheers
peter

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Peter is right, for that distance you have to have fiber.

Out of curiosity, is this some sort of school assignment?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is a homework assignment....i've actually seen that exercise before

nice try buddy try reading your books at school...this is like.....maybe a first year CNS problem

medianox

medianox

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

this is a homework assignment....i've actually seen that exercise before

I'm not gonna start a flamewar or anything, but you couldn't be more wrong.

I've been out of school for longer than I can count. I am a Sr. Program Manager for a Chicago-based consultant group. We are expanding into new office space within the same building. THe PDF file I sent is actuallly somethign I created in Microsoft Visio (file attached - I created this diagram, believe it or not). While I am not an established member of your forum here, you will see that I am established over at devshed:

Devshed Public Profile

Apparently my attempt to do the PROPER legwork to make helping with this question as easy as possible to digest is met with skepticism. I'm sorry the document was so clean, next time I'll be sure to toss in some 13375p34k for you

I appreciate the answers I received - We will be going with a Wan-to-Wan router to solve the issue.

On a more editorial note:

dsenette - this is sad behavior for a moderator to have "SEEN" this exercise before. I didn't realize you were hiding in my office on Tuesday. Bravo - I'll have to notify security. Don't lie for the sake of "manufactured credibility," and don't try to drag someone who actually knows how to ask a question through the mud. I organize things in the interest of clarity.

Attached Files

Edited by medianox, 10 January 2008 - 04:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

dsenette - this is sad behavior for a moderator to have "SEEN" this exercise before. I didn't realize you were hiding in my office on Tuesday. Bravo - I'll have to notify security. Don't lie for the sake of "manufactured credibility," and don't try to drag someone who actually knows how to ask a question through the mud. I organize things in the interest of clarity.

i fabricated nothing...i've seen a homework exercise close enough to exactly the same as your diagram to say that i've seen it...and yes it was in fact in a first or second quarter class in my Computer Networking Systems course....if you did create that document...then it's unfortunate that it looks virtually exactly the same as said homework exercise and i would not have said so if it weren't the case

i would also say that it's extremely unfortunate for you and your company that IF you have infact run 1000 feet of cat5 cable and no one (such as the people running the cable) mentioned that this was outside of the capabilities of the equipment....so either the manager of this project or the contractors used for this portion suffer from a severe lack of knowledge and might need to reconcider their involvement

my tone may have been a little acusatory....but none the less....you've got some flaws with the groundwork of your plan

#1 ethernet's physical distance limit is 100 Meters or 300 feet...to reach the 1000 foot mark you would need to have Fiber trenched between the two facilities then on either end you can use a fiber tranceiver to connect to the internal ethernet networks of each facility (make sure that said tranceiver is capable of transmitting at the speeds you require)

as to solving your problem

it needs to be known whether all the devices are in a workgroup setting or domain setting?
are both offices related in function or are they seperate entities?
make and model of your routers that are in use?

medianox

medianox

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm still thoroughly insulted. If Geeks2Go were your employer and you weren't a volunteer, this would be a serious offense. What you've done up there is what we call "backpeddling."

As my company is expanding, I do not see anything "unfortunate" about this situation. Logistical issues are easily overcome. As far as the line length, we are actually under the 328 ft length restriction. That is perhaps the only real FLAW in my diagram and comes from my lack of expertise in the networking medium. I've taken it upon myself to contract a networking consultant to come in and solve the issue. I will present them with the same diagram and edit the line length to under 328ft (100 meters).

The sad thing about this - the really, really sad thing about this is that you have not apologized. Humility is an important ingredient for success.

Happy Moderating!

medianox

medianox

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In an effort to make this thread useful to the solution-searching browser, the networking consultant I hired has resolved the issue:

We went ahead and turned off DHCP on Router B and changed the Gateway to 192.168.1.99. We have manually set all the computers in Office B to 192.168.100-192.168.1.X, manually set the gateway, and manually set the DNS.

This allowed the users access to the resources in Office A - the key here being:

Plugged the Long cable between offices into the Uplink port of Switch A.

This resolved all the issues mentioned in the document, gave connection redundancy, and allowed access to both the server and the printer.

Thanks for the efforts and attention on this forum. I especially appreciated your input, dsenette. Be sure to send me a link to your orkut or LinkedIn profiles so I can write a glowing recommendation.

Edited by medianox, 10 January 2008 - 04:03 PM.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
medianox,

I think you have misunderstood dsenette on this issue. Everyone has their own unique character, as well as how they conduct themselves. Some people sound blunt naturally, but they mean no harm, others sound really polite and friendly, yet they always have evil intentions in their minds.

Even though I don't know dsenette personally, but I believe he is one of those people who have a pleasant heart but a blunt mouth. You said he didn't apologise, but actually he did. He did admit that "my tone may have been a little acusatory", which indirectly was admitting his mistake and apologising to you.

Sorry if you feel insulted, but keep in mind that everyone is different, and all the staff on GTG are extremely nice and experienced people who are ready to help people who really need them.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for the efforts and attention on this forum. I especially appreciated your input, dsenette. Be sure to send me a link to your orkut or LinkedIn profiles so I can write a glowing recommendation.

Not everyone lives and breathes based on what strangers think of them on the internet. You can keep your recommendations.

Your post was reported in our "need a mod" forum because it appeared to be homework related. I replied asking if it was homework related because thats what it appeared to be, because I work in a school and have seen an assignment almost exactly like this. Then dsenette replied because he had also seen something like this in his schooling. That is at lest 3 people.

Lets do a rundown on how this thread has gone since then. You explained your project and dsenette explained why he thought what he did and then tried to help you. He had taken the higher road and moved on. Instead of letting it go and moving on, you had to keep going, even so far as to bring it up over and over.

Then, finally, you took it to someone else's house, where you encouraged them to come here and cause trouble. For this offense, your membership here has ended.

Feel free to flame on foreign soil.

ScHwErV :)