Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Ext. Hard Drive Partition problem

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I am adding an external drive for backup to my computer - Desktop w/ XP home.
I want to partition it into three 200 GB sections. After partitioning the first section, and re-formatting (long version), I cannot partiton the unallocated space. The drive is listed in My Computer, but when I go int Disk Management to partition again, that drive does not come up.

The HD had a number of files on it. Before partitioning, I copied the files over to my C drive so I could re-install after partitioning. Now when I try to access and copy the files back I get error message saying "Cannot create or replace (file name); the file is corrupted or unreadable." When I re-boot, I get an error message saying "Log File Initialization Error".

I look at the files in the C: drive, and they look complete to me.

I need some help on this one.

Thanks,

Domer

Advertisements

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Problem resolved - turned out to be USB 1.0 hub for 2.0 drive. Once I got a new 2.0 cable and directly hooked it up to a USB port the drive works.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Problem resolved - turned out to be USB 1.0 hub for 2.0 drive. Once I got a new 2.0 cable and directly hooked it up to a USB port the drive works.

That is an odd resolution. USB 1.0 is usually only slower than 2.0

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for letting us know.
It will help others that may have the same problem.