Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Peter B

Peter B

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am in the process of trying to replace an old 20 gig IDE hard drive with a new 500 gig SATA hard drive. The problem is I have an Intel D815EEA2 motherboard with no SATA connections, so I got a IDE/SATA adapter and got a 4 pin/SATA power adapter and now when I boot the hard drive is not recognized.
Any Help???
Please

Thanks.

Advertisements

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm curious, how money did you spend for SATA->IDE adapter?
For a reasonable amount of money you could buy motherboard which supports both IDE and SATA.

Is your new disk is SATA or SATA2 drive? Do ou have system drive in the system oryou are planing to use new dive for that? Is any other IDE device connected to the same IDE port? If yes, which position of jumper on that device is (master, slave, CS?)?

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I didn't spend anything on this ide/sata convertor, it was a freebie with the video card and Windows OS I bought. I think what I might need to do is go with a SATA raid controller pci card. I have the new 500gb hard drive that is a SATA connection and my old motherboard just doesn't have any SATA connections.

Thanks...

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I dont' think ur mobo can support that HD. In my experience more than 120 GB HD can't supported by 815 as well as 845 and 865 also.

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wow really so it will not work at all even with a sata pci card? What is the max hd for the 815?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome

A few questions in an attempt to help.

Are you booting from the original 20gb hard drive? and not seeing the sata?

From your description, it sounds as though you want to install the sata as the main drive with the OS on it.
I have read a few things where the ide to sata converters do not work.
XP will not recognise a sata drive in its native environment. In other words, during XP install, you need to install the sata driver (F6 key) when asked during install.

I believe a sata pci card should work. It would have its own controller. This is what you would install when the procedure asks if you have any additional scsi (something to that effect) to install.
You would have to point the system to the floppy drive where you have the driver. Yea we know, new computers do not have floppy drives.
With that said, some USB floppys work, or slipstream the driver into the XP install using nlite.