Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hardware

• Please log in to reply

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi,

My hardware has been crashing and filled with viruses. I need a new one. Where is the best place to get it changed? How?
What is the best way to save the documents, pictures, etc. of my current hardware?

Also, I need to close my email account. How can I save some of the emails to a CD or something? I do not want to forward them. I want them saved. How?
Thank you

Edited by nicolecolgate, 04 June 2009 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Finish your Malware topic as you still have not been declared cleaned. If you still need to backup your email and address book the malware tech can tell you how to do that.
I don't understand what you mean by Hardware needs to be changed.
Your malware topic has only been going since the 1st of the month so it may take some time depending on the extent of the infection and what type of infection you have.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 June 2009 - 09:05 PM.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
how do i change my email address on this website?
i need to update it
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to the top of the page and click on
My Controls
Left side of the screen are the specific areas you can work in.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Is reformating your hard drive 100% the same thing has replacing it?
Reformating it = getting a new one? Or are there any differences?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You still have not finished your Malware topic Here.

As BHowett explained:

I'm not sure you need to spend money on a new one, just because you have malware and your system crashes does not mean you need a new hard drive. I would Suggest you re-run combofix and lets take a look at what’s going on, but if you really want to buy a new one the techs in the hardware forum would be the best to give you advise on what to get.

I believe you are jumping the gun and not allowing BHowett to help you then you will lose data if you can't backup but in my opinion is a unnecessary step to be taken at this time.

To answer your question above:
If you take out the partition on on the drive. Then redo the partition and format the drive, then you will have as close to a new drive as you can get.

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 June 2009 - 08:56 AM.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
What is the partition on the drive? How do you redo the partition?
What do you mean close to a new drive?
Is it 100%?
Other than replacing the drive, can I do the same thing by reformatting it? Is it 100% the same thing? What are the differences if I do not get a new drive?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no way to get it 100% without buying a new drive. If you want 100% then you will have to purchase a new drive.
Your drive is used. That's the difference.
A partition is what the OS will setup to determine the amount of usable drive space. Some people setup multiple partitions on one drive. For what you want I suggest nothing more then one partition and then format it using the NTFS file system. OS will prompt you to do all this before it starts to install.
Again i want to emphasize that at this point I see no reason to buy a new drive until you have completed the Malware removal process with BHowett.
He will be able to get you healthy and your system working properly short of a few virus's that cannot be cleaned the Malware Techs are the best in the business.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I understand that the Malaware Techs are the best, and I appreciate their help, I really do.
I just want to start with a clean slate.
A clean slate being that if I sell my computer or something, no one will EVER be able to recover ANYTHING from it. That is what I want personally.
I understand that the difference between the hard drives is that mine is USED, but what do you mean USED? Used as in OLD? Or Used as in it has remnants of things on the hard drive that can be recovered?
Should I use that military scrubbing thing? Or is that the same as reformatting the hard drive?
Thank you
I am still confused about this partition thing... i dont get it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand that the difference between the hard drives is that mine is USED, but what do you mean USED? Used as in OLD? Or Used as in it has remnants of things on the hard drive that can be recovered?

Both these statements are true in theory.
First your drive is old in both the fact that it is old and in the fact that you have information on it. It would take someone that knows what they are doing to be able to recover information from a drive that has been unpartitioned and then a new partition setup on it.
A partition is needed to setup the format.
A format is needed to setup the OS system

Partitioning is how the system assign a drive letter as in the main drive is usually referred to as the C drive.
Formatting is the act of deleting all files and getting the system ready to except the install of data or the OS system
By un-partitioning the drive, then repartition it. Then formatting that partition you can be sure that the average user will not be able to get any information off the drive.
When you install a new OS system and put programs on the drive they will write over the old remnants thus making it even harder and eventually virtually impossible to recover that information.
You should have no problem once you have done this if you are thinking of selling your system. One thing i will tell you is if the system is a brand name then the recovery cd that should have come with the system will have to stay with the system when you sell it.
If it is a OEM installation then the same will apply as the cd is usually married to that system only.
I hope this makes sense and if not please let me know and I will explain further or ask Moderator or Administrator to try and explain it for you.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 June 2009 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, so what do I do to prevent someone who knows what he is doing to recover what is on my computer?
I want to go so far as to prevent those types of people as well.
Will the military scrubbing CD work? Replace the hard drive?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the military scrubbing cd?
Destroy the hd and buy a new one if that is the problem you are most concerned with.
There is no way that is 100% effective as I stated before. When you format the drive it leaves pieces of info that over time are overwritten with new data and then become unrecoverable.
I have never had a problem with anyone recovering data off a used system before that I have un-partitioned and reset everything up like it was brand new.
I believe you have nothing to worry about if you just do the standard steps that any technician would do if you take it to a shop to be wiped clean and reinstalled.

Go HERE and you can do the step by step instructions on how to repartition and format your drive and do a reinstallation of your OS system. This will take your system as close to new as you can get it. This will also explain better what partitioning is and why it is essential in setting up your system.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
This is the scrubber I was talking about
Thoughts?
Thanks

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1205245970000

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can not say with 100% positive that this program will work as I have never used it. I can't suggest it for the same reason. If you are inclined to do that I can not help because I don't know how the program works. Let me get another Staff member who may have a free program you can egt that will do the same thing and they may know how it works.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 June 2009 - 01:55 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
A free program I have used in the past for scrubbing HDs is DBAN.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 10 June 2009 - 02:51 PM.