Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer built and I need help!

• Please log in to reply

BlackCat13

BlackCat13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just put together my computer and when I went in to see if it recognized the hardware, it's only showing 127GB out of 1.5TB on the hard drive and shows only 2.7GB out of 4 GB of RAM. Since this is the first computer I built and not really a tech person, I was wondering if this is a physical problem or if I need to go into the system and adjust from there. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Advertisements

BlackCat13

BlackCat13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went into the BIOS setup and saw that the computer itself recognizes the 4 GB of RAM as well as the 1.5TB, but when i check it in Windows it states that there is only the previously mentioned RAM and hard drive space from my last post.

vaan

vaan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
when exactly did u install your windows before u put all the new hardware or after?

BlackCat13

BlackCat13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed XP after I put all the hardware together.

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
If your using a 32bit OS then windows wont see all the 4gb ram, As for the HDD, Straight away im thinking its not partitioned properly, I might be wrong though.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

If your using a 32bit OS then windows wont see all the 4gb ram, As for the HDD, Straight away im thinking its not partitioned properly, I might be wrong though.

Yeah a partitioning problem comes to my mind as well, though the 2.7 gigs is slightly odd. A 32bit operating system should see atleast 3gb, i think they go up to 3.5. So if you have 4gb on a 32 bit operating system it should show more then 2.7gb.
Are you using the onboard graphics card because there's a possibility that it's sharing the ram (though I think 800mb is a bit much for an IGP)?

What file format did you format the HDD in before you installed windows?

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Im not using IGP, but that would be the only other thing i could think of that would be taking up your RAM, I'm sure some systems let you allocate up to 1gb of system memory, im not 100% though, just have a quick look in the BIOS, if it is that then its easily sorted out. My HDD is formatted in NTFS

Edited by dave08, 20 December 2008 - 03:07 PM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
What type of HDD is is it (SATA, ATA, IDE, etc)?

Are you using XP w/ SP1, SP2, or SP3

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its SATA2 and im running Vista Home Premium x64 SP1

XcsaS

XcsaS

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ive had the same issue I'm assuming you used an XP disk with out the service packs. It seems that XP without the service packs only will see 137GBs in NTFS. Your best bet is ether to partition the drives with the remaining space or do a clean install with a XP disc with atleast service pack 2. Good Luck!