Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New video card needed for Dell Dim2400...used for games

• Please log in to reply

frozenguy

frozenguy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, I posted about my video card in a different area and found out that it doesnt work anymore.. well it barely works.

I play mainly World of Warcraft on my Dimension 2400 and I want to get a new video card but im not sure if I should get the same one or upgrade a little. I know that the PCI slot limits me..as well as my old 2400, but I would like to buy something I will be happy with and get the best performance for my computer.

Current video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB

Specs: Dimension 2400
766MB RAM
Pentium 4 2.2ghz

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi, I posted about my video card in a different area and found out that it doesnt work anymore.. well it barely works.

I play mainly World of Warcraft on my Dimension 2400 and I want to get a new video card but im not sure if I should get the same one or upgrade a little. I know that the PCI slot limits me..as well as my old 2400, but I would like to buy something I will be happy with and get the best performance for my computer.

Current video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB

Specs: Dimension 2400
766MB RAM
Pentium 4 2.2ghz

Thanks for your help

Hello

You are not gonna want to hear this but since you have that model pc that only has a pci slot for expansion slots, you will be better off by saving your money and building a new pc or buy a new one down the line..

The fastest video card for regular PCI slot is the fx 5500 they do make a fx 5500 OC version that is slightly overclocked but it does not make a bit of difference at all.. Pci is very limited in speed and throughput. The fx 5500 is a very very slow video card and upgrading to it you would not tell a difference in the world really from a fx 5200..

If you had atleast an agp slot it would be worth upgrading to a good video card but you do not have an agp slot..

You need to get a new pc with a pci express 16x slot for video cards and get ATLEAST a $200-$250 video card for gaming..

frozenguy

frozenguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah I already new that, but I can't afford another computer right now. So one other question.

I know that 128 bit is better than 64 bit, but should i get 256mb or 128mb???

I heard 128mb is faster, but is it really that much better, especially being a pci card?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
128 meg card would only be faster on slow (old) games and if the card had a faster memory clock... Where are you looking at buying?

frozenguy

frozenguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
probably bestbuy or circuit city

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

Here's about the only example I can find really, there's not very much range at all. Note that this is not a good card.

frozenguy

frozenguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
what about these cards
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1140392154117

http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

think they are the same, but is this a good card??

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No these are not good cards! But probably about the best you can find for a PCI slot. Why would you ask about those links when they are the same card but much more expensive than the one I posted? EVGA is also a very good manufacturer.

frozenguy

frozenguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I posted them because you said before that the evga wasnt a good card. Anyway I know pci sucks horribly, i get that part. I am just wanting to know what the best card is for the PCI slot.

I am going to take it that both of these cards are the best offered for pci motherboard?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It seems like the best buy for the PCI slot that I can find. I meant before that it's not going to give great performance. EVGA is, however, a very good quality manufacturer, and I would trust them over the other (PNY) versions...

Of course, seeing as you already have one of these cards, you well and truly would be wasting your money here. Even finding a 256MB version would only give you a minimal performance increase, you probably wouldn't even notice it. My advice would be to hold off, just put up with the current system and save your $$$ for a better system (or upgrades).

frozenguy

frozenguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, I appreciate the help

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, it's probably what you didn't want to hear, but glad we could help. If ever you want to know what some good upgrades would be for $$$, then feel free to come back and ask. As it is, you would probably want a new motherboard (one that supports PCI-Express x16), and there may be other components that would no longer be compatible and would need to be upgraded as well...

Cheers :whistling: