Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No program can access internet except Firefox

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hey all I got a tough one. I have an adware problem with something like double d and swp 2009 and stuff. However, I cleaned it all up with Malwarebytes. Now that I tried to access the internet through Google Chrome,Opera, try to update Avira antiVir, update malwarebyte, or any other program that may need the internet cannot except Firefox. Firefox is the only program that can go online. I have no idea what could have happened. I no that when i cleaned my computer with Malwarebytes i did not dealet anything important because i went down the list making sure. I am running XP home on a 2200+ AMD. Please help me im desperate. :)

Edited by willmon2000, 06 December 2009 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Well the problme no longer lies with my adware issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Now that I tried to access the internet through Google Chrome,Opera, try to update Avira antiVir, update malwarebyte, or helpsmilie.gif any other program that may need the internet cannot except Firefox.

When a AV is not allowed to connect then something is blocking it which will usually mean a hidden infection.
You can try to uninstall and reinstall the faulty programs which may clear the problem but I cannot say with any proof that it will stay working.
If you have a firewall running then the infection could have blocked these programs from running. Have you got IE installed and have you tried it?

i did not dealet anything important because i went down the list making sure

This means you may have left some kind of infection hiding on your system.
If you are 100% sure you are clean then follow the instructions i gave above and see if that will resolve the issue.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Wow i just looked in all programs and i cant find IE. When i said that i went down the list i ment that i made sure i did not remove any vital XP functions or programs. I use to have Comodo and AVG before I cleaned up my computer then i installed Avira and Zonealarm.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is ZoneAlarm giving access to those programs?

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Yes i put a check on all the programs so that they can go trough the firewall.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The path to the IE is c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Try this and see if it is working.
Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Usually the path is c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe and click Enter
Does IE start?
Does it connect?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I think it would be better if you send this user our way Rshaffer, save you some time as its more than likely malware related

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You got it Rorschach112....Willmon2000 I suggest following the instructions I gave in my first reply to you. The system is most likely still infected as I mentioned so please have it checked out.

Advertisements

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So rorschach112 what do you think my next step should be i have already done all of the steps in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning guide. However, the problem is still going on.

Edited by willmon2000, 08 December 2009 - 02:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You didn't post the requested logs and no new topic started in the Malware forum. That is the next step to be taken as there is nothing I can do until the system has been cleaned of all infections.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Sorry about that. I have just posted th text files from mba,otl and root repeal

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I would like to thank everyone who took a shot at my question. Fortunately I have fixed the problem well acctually my firend Marcelo did :) . All i had to do was go to IE->Tools-> Internet Options-> Advance Tab-> Reset Reset Internet Explore setting. Now all my apps work :)

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
If any body know why that work i would like to know i would have never thought of that. So yea why is it that IE caused all of these problems