Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound from computer

• Please log in to reply

lmosher85

lmosher85

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
[font="Impact"] :) Please help i need my sound back and i dont know how to fix it. i have tried everything i know of, nothing works please help. Email me if you can

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Are you sure that nothing is muted in the volume control? Note - not all the options are shown by default, to view some of them you have to go into the advanced options and select them. If everything there is set, check the device manager (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager) and see if everything is installed properly.

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have tried the first two suggestions, however in the device manger i dont know how to tell if eveything is installed properly. Also when i go into volume control it wont let me select all the options. Some of the controls arent working they are in a hazy area so when you click on them you can't.

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Heres the break down i know whats wrong i just cant get to it to fix it
it looks like this
Volume Sounds Audio Voice Hardware

Sound Playback
Default Device
No playback Devices
Volume... Advanced...
Sound Recording
Default Device
No Recording Devices
Volume... Advanced...
MiDi music playback
Default Device
No Midi playback Devices
Volume... Advanced...

i go to the control panels /sound and audio devices/audio--each section is unable to be clicked on i dont know how it got this way. but it did and i have no idea how to fix it! Please help!!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If anything isn't installed properly, the device manager will show a yellow ! or a ? next to a device. By the looks of things, I would say that your sound card isn't installed properly. In the device manager, that would be under "Sound, Video, and Game controllers"

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
how do i install my sound card properly?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Is it an on-board sound card or a PCI card? Take a look at the image below...

Posted Image

and tell me if where the speakers plug in is where it shows on that picture or of it's down lower.

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
There are no speakers pluged into the computer, so i am assuming its an on board sound card

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If there are no speakers, then that would explain why the computer won't give any sound...

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The computer is my computer at work it has a built in speaker they worked once before and dont now! i have hooked up speakers from home same thing. Did you read my above post about the sounds/audio?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
This might be resolved with reinstalling the sound driver. But for us to find the right driver, we need to know what kind of computer you have. Please be as specific as you can be, and give us the manufacturer, make, and model.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Are you sure that someone in your firm hasn't disabled your on-board sounds deliberately?

The company I work for, which has thousands of pc's set up, have all their sounds disabled before the machines are rolled out to staff, along with a whole load of other functions which they don't want people to tamper with.

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
1 the make and model of my computer are hp compaq dx2000 MT

2 our corperate hasnt disable my sound because everyone else in the office has sound they listen to their cd's and i would like to enjoy mine as well. Its and internal problem i know it is!

lmosher85

lmosher85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry jonesey also the computer had sound when it arrived. And the sound stopped working several months ago. But i miss listen to music it makes the day go by... so thats why i need help

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Do you have a special computer department (IT)? We may be treading on their turf, some companies are very careful about who helps out with their computers.

You may want to download the driver from this link at the HP website to reinstall your audio driver.