Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

P.Chang

P.Chang

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have just upgraded my computer form windos 98 to win xp and the sound does not work it says no sound card installed, it used to work fine with windos 98.
The make of the sound card is Riptide and I d/l their driver but the computer does not seem to update it. The computer is HP 6545c, do I need to update the bios and if so how do I do it?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Are you sure you d/loaded the driver for XP? Must be XP compatible or it won't work. Win98 and XP are so different that new drivers had to be written for hardware to work. Some devices never had updated drivers for xp which means many people had to buy new devices with xp drivers included. I see on google that the riptide is causing problems for many xp users --- time to get a more popular and newer sound-card I think --- they're not exactly wallet-busting items!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
for the sound, go to microsoft's windows update, and let it scan and then look under hardware udates and it should pick up your sound card, if not then you must search for it under the name of your soundcard, your just looking for your driver, for your computer just go to http://www.hp.com/co...Display=drivers - enter your computer name in and then just hit ok, then search for the downloads you need :tazz:

P.Chang

P.Chang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thx Soxrok & PIP22
The HP site drivers are mentioned for notebooks would it also work on the dasktos?
P.Chang.

P.Chang

P.Chang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi
I still can't get my sound card to work, tried all the drivers I could find on the websits including windows and riptide no luck -
Onthe device manager in 'Sond Video & Game controller' kept the Video/Audio Codecs and removed Multimedia Audio controller and PCI input devices and reinstalled them didn't help and ALSO in device manager it's showing a problem in 'Ports (com & LPT)'
commuications port (com 2) any relation to sound problem?
P.C.