Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No post, no beep, fan on 100%

• Please log in to reply

duckie

duckie

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for the "New build computer problems?" article.
I'm a newbie in building computers so I need some serious help here.
Here's my situation:

A few days ago I got all the parts and started building the system. It worked well first try. I didn't change anything in BIOS, installed XP. I left it running for a few hours then shut it down for the day. The day after, I boot it up again, it was running fine, shut it down and moved the case a bit. When I tried to boot it up again, the monitor goes blank (looks like it's on standby), while all the fans in the box are running 100%.

I checked to make sure everything's connected tightly (they are), disconnected and reconnected some parts again just to make sure. Power up => blank.

So I took the components apart down to just motherboard + cpu + video.
Boot it up => monitor blank, no sound/beeps
Put 1 stick of RAM in => magically worked! I can get to the BIOS on screen now, and the fans are running slower. Checked temperature at BIOS, seems ok.
Powered it down and put the 2nd stick of RAM in => still work!
Put hard drive in => monitor blank, fan 100% again
Take hard drive out (back to the earlier working configuration, but...) => monitor blank, fan 100% again

So what could be the problem here? How come it worked with the 2 sticks in, then it doesn't work afterward? What should I check next? I've searched some of the posts here and they say it might be a power supply problem. How do I check that?

Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

duckie

duckie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I posted in the hardware forum but this forum might be more appropriate.
Details are here: http://www.geekstogo...ent-t45583.html

Here's a quick summary:
I recently build a new system, it worked fine for 1 day then died. Monitor screen is blank, no post / bios, fans running 100%.

I've checked all the connectors, then strip down to just mobo + cpu + video + 1 stick of ram, and it works! Then I put in another stick of RAM, works again! I could get to BIOS, temps seem alright. Then I added the hard drive and it goes back to blank screen, fan running 100%. I took the hd back out but it doesn't work anymore.

Any idea what is wrong here? Thanks!

Edit: I did not overclock. In between working and not working, I've moved the case a bit so originally I thought something was loose. But then it worked again when I had 1 stick of RAM in, i don't get it.

Edited by duckie, 19 July 2005 - 08:27 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you might have bad ram?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
... or a motherboard to case short.

Try building outside the case.

makai

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The computer is acting strangely so make sure there is no case short.
Next I would try another video card but when you do have no drives or any cards installed except video.

If no go with a known working video card I would disassemble and reassemble the computer outside the case with just 1 stick ram, cpu, hsf, video card.

If it will then post I would add the drives one at a time still outside the case and if it still works then install windows and add the rest of the cards.

If in this process you find it don't display a screen then you can isolate the problem drive or card.

If it does work and windows installes then it must be a short when you place the mobo in the case.

If none of this works then it could be a bad mobo or psu but please list your system specs especially the psu I would like to have a look first.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 19 July 2005 - 08:15 PM.

duckie

duckie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply.
With the exact same setup that didn't work that day (with Hd out), the following day when I turned the power on, it worked. :tazz: I didn't touch a thing except powering it on. I stuck the hd back in and everything runs normal. I monitored the temp but nothing is overheating. Then I did a hard reboot and it goes back to no post again.

What really puzzled me is that the same system with all the components in sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But I found out the instability is due to incompartible of mobo with venice core. So I'm waiting for a new bios chip to arrive now. Hopefully the problem will disappear afterward.

Thanks again.

duckie

duckie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for the replies.
It's neither of the above. It turns out the mobo might be incompartible with venice core. But I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive to test it out.
More details here: http://www.geekstogo...ent-t45583.html (sorry i started 2 threads.. :tazz: )