Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not enough free conventional memory to check disk

• Please log in to reply

Gameman007

Gameman007

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a dual boot system with XP Home and 98 SE. I'm trying to do a non destructive over the top reinstall if 98 SE as I want to keep all my settings and programs but I'm getting missing DLL and slugish performance. When I go to do it I get the message stated in the title of this post. How do I free the referred to memory so there's enough to do the reinstall. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have a cd burner you can copy some of your files, not Windows files, to the cd's. You can remove all your temp. internet files from both partitions, most people have more than 100mb of tifs in their machines. Remove all offline content and cookies. You can go to C: and D: Properites>Tools and use Disk Cleanup. And defragment the disk after cleanup so that there will be a large open space for Setup to work in, and defrag after the install because Setup deletes a lot after it is done and there are large empty spaces on the partition.

Gameman007

Gameman007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
can I delete the Windows folder in the C drive? Would I be able to reinstall then do you think. Read somewhere that the dual boot menu would stay put and would recognize the reinstall after it was done.

Bill

Gameman007

Gameman007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
also is there a way to acees cdrom drives in 98 SE safe mode? Figure that would add more conventional doing the install from there, but the computer wouldn't show the cdrom drives in MY Computer

I just saw this in another post. Could I just copy that folder to C: along with the setup file and run it from that or will I have the same problem?

Sounds like it's time to do a Windows reinstallation. If your installation disk has the cabinet files you can copy them to C:, they should be in the win98 folder, just copy the whole folder. Then just run Setup.exe from the folder and it should install without losing either your files or settings, including your programs. If you use the installation disk itself it will erase your files and programs. Don't forget to have your product key handy.

Edited by Gameman007, 12 July 2005 - 09:34 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

also is there a way to acees cdrom drives in 98 SE safe mode?  Figure that would add more conventional doing the install from there, but the computer wouldn't show the cdrom drives in MY Computer

View Post

No, but if you make or download a win98SE boot disk you can use it to start the computer with cdrom support, then just type

X:\win98\setup and hit Enter

where X is the specified drive letter of the cdrom and setup should start. There is a help file on the floppy, just type help at the A:\> command prompt.

If you can use the XP system and it sees the cdrom you can use it to copy the files to the win98 drive.

Edited by Tyger, 12 July 2005 - 02:40 PM.

Gameman007

Gameman007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Tyger,
I think my problem is totally solved and I didn't have to reinstall 98 SE. My son in law who's a tech himself as well as builds computers suggested that I totally give the system a total shock boost in the virtual memory area. Decreased minimum to 512 no maximum. This sytem is totally juicrd up[ now literally fiies. Thanks for the help but as long as this seems to have licked the reasons for my wanting to reinstall it I'm not going any further and tempting fate.

Bill

Edited by Gameman007, 12 July 2005 - 06:05 PM.