Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2002

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Is there a way to make a users Calender a Public folder for everyone to view and make changes?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i know in outlook 2003 you can go to the calendar screen and choose "share my calendar" then add permissions to the windows users who need access to it...then on the other machine you would choose "open a shared calendar" and all the shared calendars would show up

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Sorry for the vaugeness, Its Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2002.

I dont see a way to make it a public folder though.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i kiind of wish i had an install of 2002 handy...but i don't

when y ou open the calendar is there an ability to right click it and choose properties? or something like that? what happens when you type "shared" in the office help...you may find it there..

i'm seeing some preliminary info that it's not possible to share calendars in 2002...but that surely can't be right?

you guys are using OWA right? (outlook web access)...there may be a workaround through that route if you do

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well the properties is basic useless junk in this case.

Here is a detailed explaination.

I created a user named Conference Room and gave them a mailbox. I set the mailbox up to automatically accept meeting invitations.

This way when we set up meetings, we can schedule the Conference Room as a Resource and it will automatically book it.

Now if you leave it like that you wont know you have a conflict until after you set up a time and see if it books ok or declines it.

What I would like to do, is have the Calender for the Conference Room under the Public Folders so everyone can look at it and see what availability there is.

The help didnt get me any further either.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.slipstick.../links.htm#team
http://www.slipstick...exs/pfshare.htm
http://www.slipstick...m#companyevents

the second one looks promising..

and this one http://www.slipstick...kedresource.htm
talks specifically about resource reservation stuff

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
They are close but not what I am looking for. I need it to reside under the Public Folder and be able to dynamically update.

So far I have had no luck.

Thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have got it to where you can schedule the room as a resource and have it show up. Now the problem is getting it to remove it when you cancel the meeting?

Any ideas?

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i was able to set up some reservationable resources here at work...of course this is with outlook 2003 not 2000...but...here is what i did

created a user (supposedly you could just create a mailbox..but i wasn't able to do this) for each resource (conference rooms, auditoriums, projectors) and a security group and added all the members and resource users to this group (i probably could have just used a domain group but i like to have specifics)in AD..i then logged in through outlook to EACH of these accounts one at a time (if you've got alot of stuff this could suck)...from outlook 2003 i went to tools > options > calendar options (on the general tab) > resource scheduling> ticked the first two boxes then pressed the set permissions button and added the group i just made with author permissions..

to schedule a resource...i open up my callender from my account in outlook...highlight a time block and right click > choose new meeting request > click on the "to" button > put my name in the required spot (so that i can be notified of all reservations without actively checking the calendars) and put the conference room and projector that i want in the resource spot type in a subject then press send...

once you do that...it blocks the calendar for my account, the conference room account, and the projector account...and if anyone tries to schedule those same resources at the same time...it tells them to pick a diff time....so far it works on all the machines except for one (that has other exchange issues that are boggeling my mind)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, that sounds pretty close to what I have been doing. Keeping the setup that you have right now, I know this may not be possible but what I did is log on as the resource in Outlook. Dragged the Calender to the Public Folders and copied it there. What my hope was, that it would update the Calender under the Public Folders so everyone could just look and see what was scheduled.

The problems that I have had with that is I can get it to update there by creating a new meeting request from under the public folders but it wont update my personal calender. Or I can have it in my calender but not update the calender in the public folder. So it seems that having the resources calender under the public folders doesnt work too well.

The other thing I found that is if I cancel or delete a meeting from the resources calender under the public folders it doesnt delete it for the resource. For example I create a meeting with the resources calender in the public folder then I cancel the meeting. From there I log back on in Outlook as the resource but it still shows up in its calender.

Very confusing and very much a pain. I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it. I will be working with it more this week coming up.

Thanks again.

PS- Exchange problems :blink:
A couple users on my local network have delays about 20% of the time receiving mail. A mail message from an internal user to an internal user can take over an hour. That is my battle as of late. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
instead of doing the public folders thing....from within outlook you can do file > open > other users folder...then open the resource calendar...that will give anyone with access to the calendar the ability to view the calendar from their calendar page...whether it's in a public folder or not (which is how i plan on m anaging the reservations...i can see all the resource calendars in my calendar view)...i think it being in the public folder may be why it's not updating on y our side...

i would assume that the users would just need the room callendars...since if a projector or other resource were booked...it would show up in the room booking as well (as a resource)...

i've got the same issue with excnage..once it took a full 24 hours for an internal mail to go...no clue why

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am with you on your last suggestion, I will run it past the boss. They were the ones looking for this, and sometimes what they want they just cant have.

I appreciate your time into this issue.

Thank You

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you figured this out jax?

as i was thinking about this (i've actually fully implemented this stuff at work...should be sweet)....you said that it wasn't updating your calendar...the way i'm doing it is...that i update MY calendar...and by adding the resource to the invite...it updates THEIR callendar...anyone whos going to update the resource calendar MUST have author permissions on that calendar...

i also made these to PPTs for training on the use of the system...might help

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
It does update their calender but it didnt update the calender if it was under the Public Folders. Kinda confusing, but we will see. As life goes this project has hit a back seat for the last couple days with other things taking precedence. I will look through your slides and get back to you.

Thanks so much for the help.