Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC start-up freezing at Windows XP screen

• Please log in to reply

Simon_H

Simon_H

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I'm having a problem with my PC in that it just freezes during the start-up process on the Windows XP screen. To explain, when I switch the computer on, after a few seconds it reaches the black Windows XP screen with the little 'loading' bar at the bottom, as usual. Of course normally it would almost immediately go past this to the blue 'welcome' screen before allowing me to type my log-in password and access my user account. But for some reason now it just stays frozen on the Windows XP screen with the little bar scrolling across at the bottom. It would stay on that screen all day if I let it.

I pressed the reset button and that brought up the black screen with text about how Windows had not started up properly, with several options on how to proceed. I chose 'Start using last known good settings' but unfortunately the computer once again got stuck on the Windows XP screen. Luckily I can use the computer in 'Safe mode with networking' allowing me to access my files and use the internet, but obviously a lot of the computer's functionality is disabled in Safe Mode.

The strange thing is that this has happened before, a couple of times if memory serves, and without me being able to do anything to remedy the problem, it mysteriously resolves itself after a few days or just over a week. I really am at a loss as to why this happens, why it seems to cure itself (at least in the past!) and what I can do to stop it happening again! I don't think I had installed anything or changed the system in any way immediately prior to having this problem. This latest episode started about two days ago. If anyone can offer me any advice or help me out at all I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks!

Simon.

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi Simon_H,

Try randomly switch ur rams slots.

regards,

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Simon_H,

I suggest you check your memory using Memtest86.
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Regards,
Olrik

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the replies

I wouldn't know how to randomly switch ram slots so for the moment I'll try this memtest.

Using it via the USB flash drive would probably suit me best, although the 'X86-Secret' link off the guide you sent me just takes me to the homepage of a French hardware review site?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Take a look at this link: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Thats probably what you're looking for :)

Regards,
Olrik

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again, thanks a lot for the reply and sorry for the delay while I was away!

My plan was to run the memtest from a pen drive in a USB port, but the problem I'm experiencing means that I can only use my computer in 'safe mode'. Unfortunately when I try to run memtest a sign flashes up on the screen that says 'you cannot run memtest if the system is already in protected mode'.

I don't know what to do now, do you have any ideas?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Quote from a reminding PM.

Hi Olrik,

I wonder if you could give me a hand running 'memtest' to try and help fix my PC? When I try to run it, a sign flashes up on the screen that says 'you cannot run memtest if the system is already in protected mode'. Does this mean safe mode? Unfortunately that's the only way I can currently run my computer!

Any help would be great appreciated, thanks.

http://www.geekstogo...en-t202527.html

Simon.

Hello Simon,

Sorry for letting this slip past. It happens sometimes. :) :)

Do you have the possibility to burn memtest to a CD?
I never used the program myself, though if you have trouble with this I can try to reproduce the error.

Regards,
Olrik