Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC to Plasma TV Via HDMI

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I am in the process of changing my old budget PC to a new case and am going to do some minor upgrades to it.One of the things I would like to do is to get my 42" Plasma hooked up to my PC so I can watch movies via the PC.I tried vga to vga but my Plasma would not let me select PC and so I scrapped that idea as I no longer have the user manual for the TV.I have decided to go HDMI to PC HDMI but my current board has no HDMI connection.Therefore I am looking to get a graphics card that will allow me to connect straight to the plasma with HDMI but I also wish to have my vga LCD monitor run at the same time.I was doing some research and have not got a clue as to which card to get due to compatibility issues etc,etc.Currently I have an ASUS P5N-MX MOBO with integrated graphics and sound GEFORCE 7050/nForce 610i,the board has 1 PCI Express x16 slot,1 PCI Express x1 slot and 2 PCI slots.I read that some people have issues with no sound via hdmi to NVIDIA graphics card as the graphics card won't decode sound but ATI Radeon has built in sound decoding(is this true?).i also read that some cards need additional power connectors etc.Can someone advise me as to what card I should get that will do all the stuff I require and be compatible with my current MOBO?I would like to spend as little as possible £100 at the MAX.

Advertisements

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I do it with a ATI HD4850. I run DVI to my LCD Monitor and HDMI to my 50" plasma. Its awsome! It passes audio with no issues. THat is an older card. I think that a HD5770 is in your price range. That card is even better. But make sure you have a good power supply. Also make sure you have room in your case for it.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
thanks for the advice Bignogin,My new PSU will be 650 watts but I don't think it has any type of power connector for a graphics card.The cards you pointed out are a bit pricey for me....I don't use my PC for gaming therefore it doesnt have to be the latest great card.I was encouraged to hear that you had no sound issues when connecting your 50" plasma and will go for an ATI card if my MOBO will support it.The card I was looking at is this one http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top it has a vga and an hdmi connector but I don't know if it will do the job or even if it is any better than the integrated graphics on my MOBO.

Edited by mrpooh3, 14 January 2010 - 05:11 PM.

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Im not sure if that card will pass the audio. On the 4850 it said on teh box that it would. What about Sapphire HD4850 512MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card ITs £91

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I think I will go with the HD4850 if it will be compatible with my current set-up.Thanks again for recommending this card to me! :)