Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure

• Please log in to reply

Soulchild187

Soulchild187

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to help a friend fix his computer. I have gotten this PXE-E61 msg. a couple of times. I had one tech tell me it was the HD and another tech tell me it was BIOS. Well, at first I could get to the BIOS startup. Now on the Compaq screen it says ESC to change boot up, F2 for setup, or F12 to run on LAN. If I push any of these it will say, for instance, Entering Setup......and it just runs and runs and runs. The CD-ROM won't run, it sounds like it will but it just makes noise. I have also in these 2 days run into Caldera DR-DOS. Didn't know what to do with that and neither did any tech I spoke with. I have drained the battery and also reset the HD. All to no avail. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a similar situation with the pxe-e61 error. I tried reseating the HDD and that worked for a while. After the ntbk cooled I got the samw message over and over again . For the last two days if I reboot about a dozen times the HDD will fianally catch and I'm able to get past post . Once past the OS handoff I'm able to reboot untill I let the ntbk rest for over 15 minutes.

I'll take any suggestions

cbrooker

cbrooker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a similar issue that popped up last night. I have tried rebooting multiple times, I have tried changing the boot order. Sometimes I can get into the BIOS Setup other times it just hangs on entering setup. I've tried booting up from the Windows XP CD, from the HP restore disks

I am frustrated to no end ... any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion ze5375us Windows XP.

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK I just fixed my problem .
It was a Compaq Presario 2227 Laptop cpu speed and ram I have no idea because for this issuse it didn't matter.

99.5% of the time that you get this error message it will be the HDD. Either in the internal controller of the drive or in the mbr something has gone wrong. And yes it will affect your optic drives and the ability to get to the BIOS.

I just replaced the HDD and was able to jump right into the BIOS which immeadiately saw the drive ---ran diags and stress test shut down to total cold and boot Loaded new OS and all is right with the world.

cbrooker

cbrooker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I pulled the HDD yesterday night and bought IDE converter cable to connect to my PC. I put it in as the Primary at first and it immediately came up OS not found. I then restarted and went into my Desktop BIOS ... it showed NO HDD.

I then ran to my local Best Buy and CompUSA and had both of their TECHs try to get up and running on their hardware ... to NO AVAIL!

The drive isn't even making any noise. The conclusion: the HDD has gone belly up. NOW MY ISSUE IS WITH DATA RECOVERY!

I bought a new HDD last night and put it in and reloaded the OS and I am up and running again ... now the tedious task of loading all the SW back on.

UGH!

LESSON LEARNED: BACKUP SYSTEM MUCH MORE OFTEN!

Quoted $100/megabyte to retrieve data off the drive
or $1500 per 40G drive.

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Time to learn HDD forensics I guess

Where did you get that quote from , is it a local service or national company?
I am looking for someone or company that I can deal with ....

cbrooker

cbrooker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have since received to official quotes for data recovery:

datarecoverygroup.com has quoted $95 evaluation fee + $300 to $1800 with most people ending between $900 to $1500.

www.harddriverecovery.org has quoted $775 for non-invasive recovery and $995 for invasive recovery (most likely my situation).

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
cbrooker,

After I got my pc back running I went in and reset the hdd that was giving me the error message as a slave reset the bios to recognize the slave and was just barely able to cut and paste the files to the new hard drive .
I did have to ease the spindle a bit .

good luck

never know my limits untill I exceed them

ButterflyC

ButterflyC

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm getting this problem too.

First off, my computer freezes up, then when I reboot, I'll see my boot agent version saying my bios was updated and no IDE disk is detected. Press F1 for changes. Then it shows me some other screen with something to the effect of T-1 disk and then behind it random ascII characters. Press F1 to save changes.

So I'm stuck hitting F1 or rebooting for several minutes.

Eventually I'll end up with the PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: exiting Intel PXE Rom

then in a flash, the next screen is:

Non-system disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready

At first I thought it was the hard drive going bad, but since then I had both hard drives replaced and I am still getting this error from time to time. I think changing the boot order today fixed it temperarly, but ever so often, it gets messed up.

Is my computer suffering a virus or something? Any help would be great.

asif shah

asif shah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody.

.i came to know that u hv problem with ur system getting error PXE E61. this issue comes when u cable is not connecting properly with ur HDD, CD rom and Motherboard. try to connect it properly and then remeber to check that ur HDD is as master and ur CD Drive is slave...check with the jack on the HDD and CD Drive. remove jack from CD Drive and then connect the system and start booting system ur syetm. u will again get the same error written but ur system will start booting and will work normally.
if still having anymore isue u can mail me at [email protected].

thanks

spirit_rider

spirit_rider

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also facing the same problem in my friend's pc. None of the above suggested solutions working for me now.

Actually My pc was infected by virus and before formatting my HDD i brought my friend's HDD and saved the data in there. Then i had to format my HDD, install windows and saved the back upped data again. In my PC also i couldn't boot from my friend's HDD. But it was detected and it was working like slave HDD. Now the problem is when i again fixed my friend's HDD to his pc, it's giving the same error "Soulchild187" said.

Intel(R) Boot Agent FE v4.1.17
Copyright (C) 1997-2007, Intel Corporation

Intel
(R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-201 build 885)
Copyright (C) 1997-2007, Intel Corporation

FXE-E61: MEdia test failure, check cable
PXE-M8F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key

Now i'm wondering how its happening, since it was working before i take it away from his pc and now its not working when i fix again. My Friend's HDD is Samsung 160Gb SATA and my one is 80Gb Maxtor SATA. There is nothing wrong in SATA cable. I expect any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.