Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page Loading Times

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone else has noticed how long it takes for a Geeks to Go! page to load?

For example, when I am surfing the internet, and then navigate to Geeks to Go! to check up on topics, I always notice how long the pages take to load. Another example of a "heavy" webpage is the NineMSN homepage, which I avoid like the plague. (link purposely not provided) The exact opposite, of course, would be the Google search site, which has minimal content and loads pretty-much instantly.

So my question is, does this make it difficult for dial-up viewers? Is there some way (or an option for users) to perhaps turn off some of the "eye-candy"? I think this is what takes it so long. It does look good, though :)

What seems to happen the blue background loads, so the whole webpage is blue, and then eventually (some 5+ seconds for me, that's a big time difference compared to some other websites) everything else loads up.

I have tested this on a number of computers both at my place and elsewhere. I have ADSL broadband (1500/256) and can view most content on the web pretty quickly - I'm just thinking of other users here.

Cheers :)

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I am on dialup at home and I don't even get the page load times that you describe.

What browser are you using?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Both Firefox and Internet Explorer. The same problem occurs with Opera (I also tested it), and with a linux live cd (I forget the name of the browser it had, it was completely different).

I have tested on a friends computer at his house (he also has ADSL broadband), and I have also tested using XP Home SP2, and Vista Home Premium. The same times pretty much show up everywhere.

Is it possible the problem could be pinpointed to a region? i.e. I'm in Australia?

Thanks for your response :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The blue background is actually a single line repeated, with solid color borders on either side. You can view the image here. I think we're actually on the small size for a forum page. We optimize graphics where ever possible, however we could optimize the code a little more (removing line breaks, improved CSS, etc). The images are cached, and the code compressed (gzip). So every page load after the first should be faster on any modern browser.

For example, this page is 215 kb:
HTML: 14206
HTML Images: 69869
CSS Images: 24507
Total Images: 94376
java script: 85928
CSS: 36932

The CSS, images, and javascript are cached by your browser. So after the first page load, only about 15kb are requested for subsequent page loads.

Being in Australia will unfortunately affect your performance. Our data center is located in Texas.... a LONG way from OZ.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, so it is the locality... Thanks! I'll try and move to Texas to fix the problem :)