Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Panda Antivirus Installation Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jack Moriss

Jack Moriss

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I really need some sound advice with an antivirus compatibility issue! I’ve used Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004 for the last year. A few days ago I bought Panda Titanium Antivirus 2006 and downloaded it. But I cannot install the software! (I run Windows XP).

Every time I try to install Panda Titanium Antivirus 2006 the installation stops at a screen saying: "A program has been detected that is incompatible with Panda Titanium Antivirus 2006" and asks me to uninstall a program call ‘BIT Defender Antivirus’ and I am told I can uninstall this from Add/Remove Programs.

But there is no "BIT Defender Antivirus" shown in the add/remove programs or anywhere on my PC when I did a search. I eventually found ‘BIT Defender Antivirus’ listed in my computer’s registry and deleted it but this has made no difference, I still can’t install. I don’t know whether this means I still have ‘BIT Defender Antivirus’ on my PC or if the registry is just a record of having once had it (I never knew I had such a program!).

I recd this in email from Panda:

“In order to solve the detection of another anti-virus when installing Titanium 2006 or Platinum 2006, please follow the steps below: Launch the antivirus installation. Select the installation language. A summary of the various technologies which will be installed will be displayed (Antivirus, Personal firewall, etc...)

Go to Start, Find, Files or folders, type in avdetect.ini. This file is located in the %temp% location. NOTE: The % symbol indicates the temp directory and it varies depending on the Operating System. Replace the avdetect.ini with the attached one. Verify the program installation procedure is completed successfully.”

I ran a search but I could not find avdetect.ini. on my PC. I did more research and found avdetect.ini. listed in the registry and deleted, it but when I try to import the new avdetect.ini. file Panda had sent me into the registry it says I can’t import the file as it is not a registry file (it’s in notepad form).

Any ideas where I go from here as this is doing my head in now! Is there a solution or should I just forget Panda Titanium 2006 and get another antivirus – or will same problem occur with any new antivirus?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Post a Hi-Jack This log, let's see what's actually running on that computer.

You may have little bits and pieces of BIT Defender still hanging around from before, if you've ever used that program and subsequently uninstalled it.

Jack Moriss

Jack Moriss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry not sure what you mean by a Hi-Jack and a log?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Step Five here:
http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

johnnyzero

johnnyzero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Jack,

I had a similar problem with the Panda installation "thinking" that my ProtectorPlus software was still installed. Luckily, I was able to figure it out once I saw in your post that the problem is with the avdetect.ini file.

Here's how:

1) Run the Panda installation program up to the point where you select the installation language and are then presented with a summary of the various technologies which will be installed (Antivirus, Personal firewall, etc...). STOP THERE for now!

I repeat: STOP THERE for now!

2) Search you computer for the following file: "avdetect.ini". It should be located somewhere in "C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUSERNAME]\Local Settings\Temp"

3) Once you've located the file, right-click on it and choose "Open with..", Notepad.

4) From Notepad, highlight and delete the ENTIRE section that pertains to "BIT Defender Antivirus" (in my case it was section #10, ProtectorPlus 2000).

5) Save the edited avdetect.ini file (File, Save), and close Notepad.

6) Resume the Panda installation. You should have no problems now.

I hope this helps.
JohnB

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Jack,

I had a similar problem with the Panda installation "thinking" that my ProtectorPlus software was still installed. Luckily, I was able to figure it out once I saw in your post that the problem is with the avdetect.ini file.

Here's how:

1) Run the Panda installation program up to the point where you select the installation language and are then presented with a summary of the various technologies which will be installed (Antivirus, Personal firewall, etc...). STOP THERE for now!

2) Search you computer for the following file: "avdetect.ini". It should be located somewhere in "C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUSERNAME]\Local Settings\Temp"

3) Once you've located the file, right-click on it and choose "Open with..", Notepad.

4) From Notepad, highlight and delete the ENTIRE section that pertains to "BIT Defender Antivirus" (in my case it was section #10, ProtectorPlus 2000).

I hope this helps.
JohnB

Oh My God! Thank you so very much for this soultion, you have saved me sooo much more trouble with panda, I have been trying all day to figure out why in the world it was saying norton was installed..I can't express my thanks enough!! You Rock!! :whistling: :blink: :help:

How did you figure this out?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The other solution is to log into your area with your username and password on Panda's website and download it from there. This downloadable version doesn't seem to suffer from "I think I found another virus program" syndrome :whistling:

darlabbq

darlabbq

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
This post helped me sooo much. I previously used Panda and bought the newer version to put on my moms pc (cheaper than upgrade price) so I uninstalled the previous version and when I went to install this one (2007) it kept saying that PC-cillin antivirus was installed. So I spent hours looking at Trend Micro's website and searching my registry for the keys it mentioned. I found none and it wasn't on my uninstall list. So I searched the pc for keywords. Nothing helped. I went, ate supper and did a google for Panda Antivirus install trouble and found my favorite pc help people had a solution. In 15 minutes, I now have it running and updating! You have saved me again. !!!!! Thank you Thank You Thank You! :whistling:

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Woah, thank you!

This helped me as well, when I thought there was no hope (I had previously tried to remove invalid registry entries etc).

I have managed to install Panda Internet Security 2007 using the above method.

Brian584

Brian584

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you so much for this solution! I have been looking for some time for an answer to this problem for a non-profit organization. Someone had done a partial uninstall of AVG and I couldn't install Panda. I kept getting error messages even after spending a fair bit of time searching and cleaning the registry.
I have AVG installed at home and tried this ini file solution and it worked great! Thanks again.

samgoober

samgoober

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Jack,

Here's how:

I hope this helps.
JohnB

Actually, you can delete almost the entire contents of the file. I have multiple AVs on a PC, so I made the avdetect.ini look like this:

[General]
NumeroAntivirus = 125
Version = 2.22

[c]
* Fin *

All fixed in one fell swoop! :)

Note, there's a reason why AV companies don't want you to have multiple AVs running on the same PC. For best results, you might need to disable the "real time" or "active protection" feature in one or more of the AVs.

Good luck,
Sam

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This topic is over 2 years old. It should have never been opened again.

samgoober

samgoober

• Pip
  • 2 posts

This topic is over 2 years old. It should have never been opened again.

My guess is that people who find this information helpful (like I did) will appreciate the information. It's still relevant, and the added information will be helpful to others. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Sam