Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pl HELP : Country Specific Voltage affecting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I am from USA currently visiting a country where Standard Voltage is 240 Volts instead of 110 Volts used in USA.

I have some data that I want to Back Up on an external Hard Drive ( USB ) and thake it to USA.

Since I am using a computer which operates on 240 Volts, would the data recorded on an external USB drive work when I plug that Hard Disk into a computer in USA which works on 110 Voltage ?

If not what are my alternatives besides backing up 500 GB data on DVDs ?

Thank You.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The drive is powered by the electronics which are designed to work on 110v or 240v depending on location.
The data is recorded in the same way by the electronics so providing you have appropriate replacement hardware or appropriate adaptors for your existing hardware that can talk to the different electricity source then the data will be fine on the drive.

That is to say, it'll be fine. If the equipment has switchable voltage, then don't forget to flip it back to 110v when you get back to the US unless you want to see the unit go up in smoke.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thank you.