Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me to remove the nail.exe and aurora![RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rock31

rock31

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I used Adaware SE Personal, and spybot-search and destroy to clean my computuer. But everytime, there are still Aurora pop-ups, and nail.exe.
Here is my hijackerthis log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:24:46 PM, on 4/26/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\University At Albany\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\aroiwl\spiab.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~2\VPTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\HijackerThis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~2\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: VPN Client.lnk = ?
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\aklsp.dll
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {32F66A26-7614-11D4-BD11-00104BD3F987} - C:\Program Files\Design Science\MathPlayer\MathMLMimer.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: IPConfTSP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dccpsapi.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: University at Albany VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\University At Albany\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: spiabaroiwl - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\aroiwl\spiab.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Go to My Computer->Tools/View->Folder Options->View tab and make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders' (or 'Show all files') is enabled. Also make sure that 'Display the contents of system folders' is checked. If you have Windows XP, the search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that 'Search system folders', 'Search hidden files and folders', and 'Search subfolders' are checked.

For the options that you checked/enabled earlier, you may uncheck them after your log is clean. If we ask you to fix a program that you use or want to keep, please post back saying that (we don't know every program that exists, so we may tell you to delete a program that we think is bad to keep).

Download LSPFix http://www.greyknigh.../spy/LSPFix.exe and run it. Click on aklsp.dll on the left window and click on the arrow pointing to the right. Click Finish and follow the prompts.

Reboot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key until menu shows up. In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Make sure to close any open browsers. Go into HijackThis->Config->Misc. Tools->Open process manager. Select the following and click 'Kill process' for each one if they are still listed (they shouldn't be - but double check):

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: IPConfTSP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dccpsapi.dll
O23 - Service: spiabaroiwl - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\aroiwl\spiab.exe

Delete the following Files/Folders (delete folders if no filename is specified) according to their directory (if none, just do a search for them) and delete them if they exist:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\aroiwl\
C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe
c:\windows\system32\aklsp.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dccpsapi.dll

Reboot into Normal Mode run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here.

Download L2MFix from one of these two locations:

http://www.atribune....oads/l2mfix.exe
http://www.downloads....org/l2mfix.exe

Save the file to your desktop and double click l2mfix.exe. Click the Install button to extract the files and follow the prompts. Then open the newly added l2mfix folder on your desktop. Double click l2mfix.bat and select option #1 for Run Find Log by typing 1 and then pressing Enter. This will scan your computer and it may appear nothing is happening. After a minute or 2, notepad will open with a log. Copy the contents of that log and paste it into this thread.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT run option #2 or any other files in the l2mfix folder until you are asked to do so!

rock31

rock31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for your reply.

I guess, I have solved the problem.

I first use the ewido security suite, and scan the disk and fix the infected files.

Then I use l2mfix.exe.

Here is the hijackthis log files

Scan saved at 4:31:22 PM, on 4/27/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\MATLAB6p1\bin\win32\matlab.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wisptis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {32F66A26-7614-11D4-BD11-00104BD3F987} - C:\Program Files\Design Science\MathPlayer\MathMLMimer.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It's not fixed yet. Where is your L2MFix log? Did you run option #2 already? I want to take a look at your log before you run #2.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Reboot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key until menu shows up. In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Make sure to close any open browsers. Go into HijackThis->Config->Misc. Tools->Open process manager. Select the following and click 'Kill process' for each one if they are still listed (they shouldn't be - but double check):

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

Delete the following Files/Folders (delete folders if no filename is specified) according to their directory (if none, just do a search for them) and delete them if they exist:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\aroiwl\

Reboot into Normal Mode run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here.

rock31

rock31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, greyknight17,

Thank you so much for your help and instructions. I had done the cleaning before I saw your first post. I missed your first instruction. That is why I ran l2mfix with option 2. I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with that?

Now, I have installed several spy-pretections which are ad-Aware, ewido, spy bot-search and destroy and spy-blaster . I scanned my computer with the first three spy detectives (ad-Aware, ewido, spy bot-search and destroy), they found no malwares. I am not sure if my computuer is clean or not, because I do feel the spiab.exe a kind of fishy. Would you mind tell me what is this spiab.exe about?

I am in the middle of running a program, it might take a while. I will try to follow your instruction to clean this spiab.exe after the program is done.

Thanks alot

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It's nothing good. Can't give you any specifics since that's probably just a randomly named file.

Post the HijackThis log when you are done.

rock31

rock31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi, Greyknight17,

Thank you very much for your help. Here is the hijackthis log after the remove spiab.exe. Are there something still fishy?

Thanks

Scan saved at 9:04:37 AM, on 4/29/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You may uninstall Ewido now since you have Norton/Symantec.

Turn off system restore by right clicking on My Computer and go to Properties->System Restore and check the box for Turn off System Restore. Click Apply and then OK. Restart your computer and uncheck the same box to enable System Restore.

Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us.

Your log is clean.

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Are there any problems now? If not, you should be set to go.

rock31

rock31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, greyknight17,

Thank you so much. I have no questions anymore. I appreciate your help very much.
Have a great day.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.