Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop-ups in My Task saying computer infected Please Help

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
For some reason I am getting pop-ups from my task bar saying my computer is infected I try to run a AVG scan but from the looks of it AVG has been disabled or something. I think I may have a virus of some sort but I'm not sure. All of my items on my desktop are covered with a warning (with a blue background) saying "Warning Sypware Detected on Your Computer! Install an Antivirus or sypware remover to clean your computer." I also get this other pop-up whenever I first log on to my machine that looks like a windows security center but It doesn't say firewall or antivirus like the normal one does it says sypware and a couple other things. I also can not get into my task manager it says it has been disableb by an adminstrator and I never did that. If anyone knows what I can do to remove these things I would really appreciate it. Thanks you.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Wadeb,

Sounds like you've got some malware on your system, whether this is Windows telling you that you have a problem or if it is a bad program trying to annoy you or get you to buy something else. Please follow the steps here. This will get rid of 80% of all malware. If you continue to see problems, please see those instructions for posting a Hijack This! log to our malware removal forum, where they'll be able to help you better than we can.

Grotesque

Grotesque

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This sounds like Trojan Horse Dropper.Agent.HHK or a version of trojan horse dropper - I had exactly the same problems, Follow The Admiral's advice and go to http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html and start a new thread.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Thanks guys I'll give it a shot.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
So I just tried running a HiJackThis and I'm not sure if its because of that Trojan or what but my computer will not even let me run the program. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Grotesque

Grotesque

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Try disabling any anti-viral software running in the back ground, things like AVG, Norton, spyware doctor etc. things with real time protection as they might possibly be interfering with running HJT (PLEASE DISCONNECT FROM THE NET THOUGH, IF DOING THIS - TO STAY SAFE FROM FURTHER INFECTION), alternatively reboot in safe mode and try from there.

What anti virus are you running besides AVG, and have you been warned of infection? I strongly advise to download Spybot - Search and detroy (I'll revise a legit site and a link for you - as I paid for search and destroy (notice no Spybot in title) which happened to be yet another trojan :) )

Also do you have pop-ups mid screen, Vary in colour (red, blue - as in windows/anti virus style warnings) also warning of infection?

Let me know of the results, the sooner you can get a log the better!! :)

Edited by Rorschach112, 15 April 2008 - 05:00 AM.
No malware advice please

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wadeb_21...

Go ahead and do what you can, start yourself a topic in the malware forum, and explain to the experts that you are unable to run HJT. They will walk you through the process of getting the log posted by alternative means.

wannabe1

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Grotesque please don't instruct users to run ComboFix

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts