Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Hardware Malfunction

• Please log in to reply

SPC O'Donnell

SPC O'Donnell

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've had an HP Pavilion Slim for almost 2 years now and it's been having problems almost right out the gate. I've had my sound repeat the last note quickly before crashing and only a reboot of the computer will restore the sound. This doesn't happen all the time but it's irritating. The Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) crashes within minutes of the computer starting up and sometimes resets itself but I'm unsure if it's affecting other parts of the computer or OS. IE and Firefox go completely black and lock up forcing a manual close or even a complete computer reboot. The removable media storage and DVD-RW drive will occasionally not recognize devices or will freeze. The Explorer will randomly crash and not allow a reboot except manual reboot. Anytime we're playing Flash games over the internet that's when IE or Firefox are more prone to crash, freeze up, lose sound or cause a blue screen. On the blue screen the reasons for crashing have varied and we have about 2 pages worth of different reasons.

We recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium before the New Year and the problems have persisted.

Examples of the blue screen crash errors we've received are:
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
BAD_POOL_HEADER
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
MEMORY_MANAGMENT
Modification of a system code or error
PFN_LIST_ERROR
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The dxgkrnl has encountered an unexpected fatal error

I recently went through a cleaning session with chamber and he has classified my computer as CLEAN. I appreciate any help and willing to take any suggestions before my wife decides to toss the computer out the second-story window and into a 5 foot snow bank. Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

any suggestions before my wife decides to toss the computer out the second-story window and into a 5 foot snow bank

I think this would work wonders, especially if the computer is overheating? :)

Okay seriously, sounds like you have some problems alright. Please advise if you have run any form of hardware diagnostics to indicate potentially faulty components.

SPC O'Donnell

SPC O'Donnell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Other than the diagnostics built into the computer from HP, we don't have anything else running. And the HP one either crashes midway through or detects nothing. Usually it crashes or freezes though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r and memtest in the repair section on the 7 installation dvd

SPC O'Donnell

SPC O'Donnell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I only have the upgrade disc for Windows 7 and it does have a memtest.exe but it can't be run in Win 32 mode. What do I do?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Did you boot from the repair disc? It should work from there.

SPC O'Donnell

SPC O'Donnell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry about the long wait between replies. I don't have a repair disc and we still have the random crashes.

Is it possibly the memory? Every time it crashes or freezes, after restart everything is reset to default settings. Logins and entered text needs to be re-entered for websites after a crash/freeze and we've been unable to get a memory test working. Should we run it in Safe mode?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If it runs in safe mode, you should be able to create a repair disc from within safe mode.

http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc