Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Mozilla From Viewing A Page

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi. I have a website that is hopelessly not appearing uniform within IE or Mozilla browsers. It looks so weird on IE right now that I want to prevent Mozilla from viewing the page since IE is usually more common.

Is there a script/code I can use that will detect if a user is using Mozilla, and if they are, display a page that says "Sorry. Please use Internet Explorer to access this page." or some sort? If there is, that would be great!

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!

Edited by Joeturf, 23 December 2006 - 03:15 AM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Don't ever do that! It just does not make sense. Do you want people to use your page or not?

If you would give a link I might be able to help you fix the problems, and this might even be less work than preventing uses (like me) viewing you site.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Haha! Okay =|. Here's A Link It looks good in Mozilla, but it looks distorted on Internet Explorer.

There's 2 noticeable flaws on Internet Explorer that I've found so far :

1. The Top-Right Frame with the banner in it is smaller than the ideal size of that in Mozilla

2. The box with the links in it on the left have a weird, random extra line on the bottom that came outta nowhere!

Perhaps these are easy fixes I don't know! But i've tried many things and it doesnt work and it drives me nuts! Help is appreciated

Thanks!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
:blink:

Ok I got a lot to say before I finish with you :help: but we will start a little bit at a time.

First off, don't use frames! You will find it very hard to get help from anyone while using frames, because any one that knows enough to help you hates frames for lots of reasons. I am no exception. I want you to use this code instead. The CSS goes in your head (<head></head> tags).

<style type="text/css">

#menu {
float:left;
width:200px;
}

#content {
float:left;
}

</style>

<div id="main">

<div id="menu">
Put content from menu frame here
</div>

<div id="content">

<div id="header">
put stuff from header frame here
</div>

<div id="selection">
put content from you main frame here
</div>

</div>

</div>

See how that works for you, if it does not please upload it as a test page so I can view it and help fix it quicker. Once that is done we will move on to fixing the menu.

You will soon see by that way that your pages will work in FireFox with out too much work, but your always going to find something not working in IE. Welcome to the club if IE hair pullers :) Stupid IE can't just follow the standards :whistling:

Are you going to get it on geocities? or are you looking for some paid hosting? I can sagest some.

Edited by Michael, 23 December 2006 - 08:18 PM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay, thanks! I will try that. Yes, I agree frames are usually kind of an "unstable" foundation for a site but I really didn't know any other way to get the desired result so I will try that!

And I'm designing the page for a school and the web files are only accessible on their school computer because it's on a network drive.. or something. Since it's winter break and I can't get to school anyway, I copied all the files onto a geocities account. So no, it's not a permanent host, it's just a .. "test host" =D

Thanks for your help!

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
No Frame Test!!

Above is the link with the code you mentioned. That actually doesn't look half bad =D I think there's some minor things to deal with like locations of the divs or whatnot. But I can see how that will work =).

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The menu is just floating there, with the stuff under it, so lets move it out but putting margin-left:200px on to the div after the menu one.

I sent you a PM also about something I don't want generally known :whistling:

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay, done

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Ok, now were on some easier to use hosting (mine for every one else here) :whistling:

Next I want to remove the able that makes up the menu, if you read http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/ you might have some idea why.

Try this code instead.

<ul id="menulist">
<li><a href="right.htm" >Home</a>
<li><a href="http://www.kamiakartsboosters.org/calendar_main.php">Performance Calender</a>
<li><a href="orchbook.DOC">Orchestra Handbook</a>
<li><a href="teacherlist.xls">Private Teacher List</a>
<li><a href="links.htm">Links</a>
</ul>

#menulist{
margin:0px;
padding:0px;
}
#menulist li {
list-style-type:none;
}

I did the change and put it on http://temp.testomoz...rametest_2.html looks the same but much nicer code.

Also your missing the </title> from your title tag.

quote from PM

Is there anything else to do now?

Well do you like how it looks, or do you want to put some work into looks. Also you could put all the CSS in an external file.

Michael

PS you can put every thing in the FTP account if you like.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay! Thanks, I have done that too. But before I upload the new page onto the FTP, can I ask why you put so many different <div> tags when you can produce the same result? Because I deleted about 2 of your <div> tags and it came up with the same thing!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Because I did not check every thing out in detail. If you can remove them do.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay, done! Is there anything more to tweak? Or am I ready to set sail on my own yet =)

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It all depends on if your happy with it. I fixed the problems while improving the code. If you happy we will leave it at that. There is nothing I can see that we have to change, unless you want to change the looks, I can help with that. Else your ready to go!

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Great! Fortunately I am very happy because it looks good And I learned a new way to design pages without frames =) I may ask again later but as of right now I'm totally satisfied with this.

Thanks for all your help!!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Till next time good luck! And merry Christmas