Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with SCSI/RAID Host Controller

• Please log in to reply

padraiclabor

padraiclabor

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey there. Yesterday, my external hard drive was no longer detected. I could not access any of the programs or the files, and the drive was not detected in My Computer. In the Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point next to SCSI/RAID Host Controller. I think this is causing my hard drive problem.....help please? There is very important information on that drive!!!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How does the hard disk connected to the computer. Is it a USB connection? SATA card?

What is the make and model of the computer or of the motherboard?

padraiclabor

padraiclabor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It is a USB hard drive...and it is connected in the back ports FYI. Honestly, I am answering this from a school computer right now, but could you please post how I can find out my motherboard make? I couldn't figure it out.

padraiclabor

padraiclabor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am sorry to be a bother, and for double posting, and I don't want to sound rude, but could I perhaps get help from someone around my time zone? I'm sorry Skeptic, but I need help ASAP and you respond while I am at school, and I can't wait a day per response.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I understand and appreciate the time zone problem. However, since no one answered I would advise the following:

1: The problem is not related to the scsi/raid missing driver.

2: Try to operate the disk from another USB port. If not successful try to connect another USB device and see if it works. We want to see if the USB system is working.

3: If not successfull move the disk to another computer. If it doesn't work there then the hard disk itself, the enclosure or the cable are faulty. If you are handy you can open the hard disk enclosure and make sure that the connections inside are well secured. If this is done and still no good you can take the disk out of the enclosure and connect it as slave to one of the IDE cables inside the computer. If it doesn't work then the disk itself might be faulty.

4: If the disk works on another computer then open device manager on your computer, expand and uninstall everything in "universal serial bus controllers". Reboot the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers.

padraiclabor

padraiclabor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I switched the USB port and it solved the problem. Apparently two USB ports next to each other won't work on my computer. Man, this thing is brand new!