Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

• Please log in to reply

theamcguy

theamcguy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. It works fine except the button at the bottom to close the app and open the picture in Paint has stopped working. It closes the app but will not then open the picture in Paint. All other buttons work fine. If I right click the photo and select Edit Photo from the list then it closes the app and opens the photo in Paint. I believe the problem started when I added Paint.Net. Not a big problem but an annoyance I would like to solve. Any ideas? TIA

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Was going to reply earlier but didn't have much time to research this.

OK, I found out a solution to this problem that a handful of users have asked in the past. :tazz:

So do you still want Paint to be the default editor or do you want some other program? Either way, I want you to just replace that program (see link) with the one you want. Take a look at this site for a registry edit. As usual, back up your registry first before attempting to make any changes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Paint.net will replace paint unless you remove a tick during install, you could remove paint.net, see if paint responds as it did, then re-install paint.net and remove tick during install

Edited by Keith, 28 May 2005 - 04:45 AM.

theamcguy

theamcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the info. I checked the registry and ms paint is the default. When I click the edit button at the bottom of the screen in widows picture viewer, picture viewer closes but paint does not open. If I right click in picture viewer from the context menu I can select edit and picture viewer closes and the photo opens in paint. Some how clicking the screen does not complete process. Any Ideas? TIA

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, had to do more searching here :tazz:

Didn't find much except for one thing. Go to this site and look at the first post. Do what's mentioned there. Now try editing the picture by clicking the Close Picture Viewer and open Edit button.

Strange though since you said it works if you right click on the image and go to Edit.

theamcguy

theamcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for the info. I think I know what the problem is. This morning I was playing around and noticed that the screen shortcut is also the Ctrl+E shortcut. I believe another program has hijacked Ctrl+E and this is the reason the button does not work. Is there a program that searches and resolves shortcut problems? Looking program by program could take awhile.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That could be a problem :tazz:

OK, I did a quick search and found this free program. See if it has the feature to look up the current shortcut keys you have assigned. That should help you locate ctrl+E.

Alan2

Alan2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I use this program on a company server. I use to have Kodak Picture which allowed me to delete a page on a multiple image file. Windows Picture does not seem to allow deletion of individual pgs. Is there a way? Any freeware programs that would do this? Tks Alan

Chavin84

Chavin84

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks for the info. I checked the registry and ms paint is the default. When I click the edit button at the bottom of the screen in widows picture viewer, picture viewer closes but paint does not open. If I right click in picture viewer from the context menu I can select edit and picture viewer closes and the photo opens in paint. Some how clicking the screen does not complete process. Any Ideas? TIA

Someone already succeeded to solve this exactly same problem without reparing windows XP?
Thanks a lot

qwest

qwest

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i am still having a problem with this.

my default picture viewer is windows pictre and fax viewer. i like their layout.

when i click on the icon that says - closes this program and opens the image for editing, the picture closes instead of opening up in Paint for editing.

help.

i tried the file associations thing for xp does not work.

i think the issue is my ctrl E.

when i rightclick and choose edit, that works.

the ctrl E does not work though.

HELP. this is really frustrating.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Qwest

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on a topic that is 4 years old it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

qwest

qwest

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, will do