Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Playing AVI and MPEG after graphics card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
I have just replace a graphics card with a GForce 6200 card but now when trying to play either AVI or MPEG the system hangs with the player showing 98% CPU usage in the task manager.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers and reinstall Divx.

Has anyone come across the problem before?

Any suggestions ?

Advertisements

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
Update. If I lower the hardware acceleration in display trouble shooting so that Direct Draw is disabled, in then works. So I think it may be a directx problem. I've tried reinstalling directX but it doesn't seem to
be replacing the existing files.

Joe4speed

Joe4speed

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The 6200 requires the 84.21 drivers to play videos. I don't know why this is, but I just got the 6200 256mb and had the same issue. I finally found the answer on the net after hours of searching for it.
Here's the link to the 84.21 driver page:
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html

(for winxp)

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
I had the same thought myself and download replacement drivers which solved that problem but kept losing it's dualview settings after switching the PC off. The driver version I downloaded was 8.4.1.2.

I've just tried the version 8.4.2.1 which you suggested and it seems to have fixed that problem so far.

Thanks.

Joe4speed

Joe4speed

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I had the same thought myself and download replacement drivers which solved that problem but kept losing it's dualview settings after switching the PC off. The driver version I downloaded was 8.4.1.2.

I've just tried the version 8.4.2.1 which you suggested and it seems to have fixed that problem so far.

Thanks.

I'm glad it worked for you too.
I'm still not happy with this card. It plays games great, they look and perform way better than the geforce 5200 card I replaced, but it still makes the computer lag for a minute when I first load any movie or clip. It also will not play the Half-Life Ep.2 trailer at the end of Ep.1 where the geforce 5200 played it just fine. It just shows pink and green lines and the computer freezes until I shut the power off manually. Definitely not a good thing.
I'll have to write nVidia and BFG and see what the deal is, because it's really aggravating me now. They need to fix this driver issue or stop selling these cards. From what I've read around the net, it's affecting alot of people!
If I find out anything more, I'll let you know by posting it here!

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
give me a link to that trailer and I'll try it on mine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you both run driver cleaner before installing the new drivers for the new card that way any references to the older cards will be removed and drivers installed fresh for the 6200s.

I would also get the KLMegacodec pack and install it itll install all the codecs need and has various different codecs in it so you can pick what ones you want to use although the defaults work for most.

Joe4speed

Joe4speed

• Pip
  • 9 posts

give me a link to that trailer and I'll try it on mine.

Hmmm... I don't have a link, it plays automatically after the credits for ep.1 are done rolling.

Did you both run driver cleaner before installing the new drivers for the new card that way any references to the older cards will be removed and drivers installed fresh for the 6200s.

I would also get the KLMegacodec pack and install it itll install all the codecs need and has various different codecs in it so you can pick what ones you want to use although the defaults work for most.

No, I didn't run driver cleaner. I'll make sure to try that and reinstall on my days off and see if it helps!
Thank you for the suggestions! :whistling: I'll let you know how it works!