Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

• Please log in to reply

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I think someone elase has already mentioned that...didn't work for me, even with a DMZ too...
:tazz:
I've totally given up anyway, I'm just living with the fact I have to keep rebooting the modem when playing CoD UO...
Need to get a new one...

View Post

Sorry, didn't see it. Well, my router/pc conection issues were sorted by this, but now I lose the actual broadband connection approximately every 24 hours, so it looks like I'll be buying a new modem afterall. You know what BT tech support said when I phoned them about it? Don't use it so much. How does their advert put it..." a super-fast, always on Broadband connection " ??

Advertisements

onibaba

onibaba

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Right.. dont laugh u lot!! try n help me PLEASE!!! Just went to ( voyager.home ) to get to where you configure the thing,, and i cant get in to advanced settings!! ive had this before! ,, i get the quick start screen,, i click on advanced and it stays on the quick start screen but asks for username and password (which ive always kept as admin,,,) when i enter them i get no ADVANCED screen still quick start, but a drop down menu appears under advanced on the left, that i cant use to access anything,??? it says the page is getting ready but nothing appears (just stays on the quick start screen) A GUY AT BT once recommended i deleted all temporary cookies & files and history of visited sites from my and my wifes user accounts on the pc. as well as disabling my norton(block pop ups) on that page, tho this was ok before,, ive done these things along with turning off norton security alltogether and still no joy,, my mate has the same prob but has no norton security so i dont think its that (as i accessed the configuration before to sort it for my xbox) can anyone tell help me as to why i cant access ADVANCED to configure the thing as i may need to again if i ever have to reset it in the future,, :tazz:

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Right.. dont laugh u lot!! try n help me  PLEASE!!! Just went to ( voyager.home ) to get to where you configure the thing,, and i cant get in to advanced settings!! ive had this before! ,, i get the quick start screen,, i click on advanced and it stays on the quick start screen but asks for username and password (which ive always kept as admin,,,) when i enter them i get no ADVANCED screen still quick start, but a drop down menu appears under advanced on the left, that i cant use to access anything,??? it says the page is getting ready but nothing appears (just stays on the quick start screen)  A GUY AT BT  once recommended i deleted all temporary cookies & files and history of visited sites from my and my wifes user accounts on the pc. as well as disabling my norton(block pop ups) on that page, tho this was ok before,, ive done these things along with turning off norton security alltogether and still no joy,, my mate has the same prob but has no norton security so i dont think its that (as i accessed the configuration before to sort it for my xbox) can anyone tell help me as to why i cant access  ADVANCED to configure the thing as i may need to again if i ever have to reset it in the future,, :tazz:

View Post

Probably something to do with your router locking up, it happens to me sometimes, although not in exactly the same way. Try rebooting both your pc and the router, that normaly sorts it for me.

EDIT: just another thought, if these problems continue you could always reset the router to factory defaults using the reset button on the back of the router. Bit of a pain as you will lose all your settings but it's there as a last resort I guess.

Edited by gingabiskit, 17 June 2005 - 06:10 AM.

drsnook

drsnook

• Pip
  • 1 posts
heya, good to know everyone else is having these probs with this [bleep] router.
The first prob i had was trying port-forward. I wanted to do this so i could use my bit torrent client. I got the same prob as you onibaba, I couldnt enter the advanced settings. Reset the router and reboot your computer and try again. Be persistent and eventually you will get in.
My problem now is that I have done the port forwarding as per instructions.....

http://www.portforwa...tforwarding.htm

and now the ETHERNET has stopped working.
:tazz:
It mentions in these instructions that you must use the usb connection to carry out portforwarding, does this mean that we can only use the usb connection while the port is forwarded?? That would be bad as we can all see that the usb connection is obviously faulty and I want to use the ethernet for my internet connection.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the ethernet port would stop working after portforwarding??
Anyway I will probably follow the majority advice an get a new router. But I encourage everyone to call BT and waste lots of their time and money by requesting new ones etc. until they decide to get a new router as standard.

CiderMark

CiderMark

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Maybe I'm one of the luck ones :tazz: but I've had no problems with my 205 at all.

I can't deny that there are problems with the unit, running hot and the USB being the main two!

Before those of you who are having problems with this rush out and buy a different DSL modem check out

Cracking the Voyager 205

it's got some great info for noobs and experts plus some very useful links, hints and tips.

The timeout problem is probably due to the pppsesstimer default value of 30 minutes! Open uo a cmd window and telnet to the router (telnet 192.168.1.1) enter the userid and password and enter
'modify ppp global pppsesstimer nevertimeout'

hellfire

hellfire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

I googled for some solutions and omg.. BT told me they never had any complaints about there modems,

i'll start from the begining,

I got bt broadband and had the 105 ADSL modem, it was [bleep], over heated disconected (all the lights stayed on and had to reboot) and they said it was my pc's fault (blaming it on the frontside bus and saying my psu couldn't provide enough power, so ok, I got a powered usb hub still the same problem) Correction, all THREE of my pc's yeah right, well i had a week long arguement on and off the phone with the [bleep] company and they said they couldn't supply me an ADSL router as i had the wrong package *rollseyes* i had the right package, after argueing they sent one out, anyway before that they sent out a technition who picked up our landline phone and dialed a number, said it was working fine hung up and left, they tried to [bleep]ing charge me £50 for that, [bleep] i was paying for it,

Anyway I got my 205 router installed it Via USB because the pc i installed it on didn't have ethernet at the time, Everytime i used games or bitlord or any P2P it disconected, i noticed it got hotter aswell, got hold of a ethernet card and was hoping it would work,after a while it kept dropping, well not excatly dropping but wouldn't work, it stayed connected and it wouldn't reseive and only sent a few bits of data, so i thought, well im getting a laptop soon and will have a wireless router when i get that, i can wait. no i can't at times its dropping three or four times an hour, i have to spend 10-15minutes getting working (pressing the power button on the router on, waiting for it to disconect (if i disconect thought the pc it [bleep]s up) and turn it on, let the network pick up the connection and keep pressing the connect button about 5-6times before it connects,

So i thought i'd google, i used google got to hear, read your guys stuff and im shocked that so many companys use a shoddy product like this, I think someone should present all these problems to the companys and see what they say, [bleep]ERS, they changed the routers from the older ones because i believe it was cheaper, as far as i know and BT wanted to make money

anyway i reading this whole thread i got booted twise, i read the comment on turning it upside down, it disconected the second i did it but not since, then i read gingabiskit comment about the Intrusion Protection and tried that, so far so good, so at the moment i have un upside down router, any tips on what else i can do?

many thanks
Hellfire

hellfire

hellfire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My router disconected on my again so i phoned BT, wasn't in the que long and got throught to the advisor, said a simple sentence, "i have a voyager 205 router running through ethernet and it seems to disconect and get exstremely hot" he said hold on a second and hes sending a replacement out, LOL right, so everyone here has a dodgy power suply, apparnetly the mains adapter is sending to much power to the router, now originally with my 105 modem it was not enough power, NOW its to much power *Rolleyes*

Sicaroo

Sicaroo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I'm new. I can't connect to Xbox Live. I thought I had the same problem as previously mentioned, with the DMZ thing, but even after trying what was mentioned here, it still says "DNS server not resolved", with the error message:

"No DNS Server adresses were recieved from the DHCP or PPPoE server..."

I wish I knew why this happened. I'm also using a BT voyager 205, no problems of over heating yet (touch wood). According to Microsoft I need to unlock ports UDP88, UDP3074 and TCP3074. How the [bleep] do I do that?? BT won't tell me anything.

If this isn't the problem, anyone any ideas? Please, I'm desperate. :tazz:

Sicaroo

Sicaroo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey. Again.

Ok, I've found the problem. Xbox Live is fine, Bt voyager is fine. It's my cable.

It's not a cable, it's a homeplug device - a fairly new invention I think, where the ethernet signal is sent through the electricity in your home. And when I use this, I can't connect to Xbox Live.

This completely invalidates what I just said in the above post. And I really doubt anyone knows anyhting about the Devolo DLan Homeplug, so sorry for wasting our time.

Networkman

Networkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well its been a long time since i started this topic and i am still having problems. Listen to this.....

If i try to enter my Bitcomet to download a torrent i lose *connection* - but heres the weird thing .... i dont exactly lose connection i just lose the ability to connect to some DNS servers ... like my login for a gaming tool (Xfire) but i am still connected to a Voice Communication Program (Teamspeak) and when i try to access the internet via IE and Firefox i get text in the bottom saying "Finding website, www.google.com. (Google being my homepage) and i have to restart my computer to solve this little bug yet it still happens.

Some times when i try to access the internet via my browsers i get a text saying . "Connecting to 82.133.42.3" (Fake IP) and i repair my connection and its fine for a while then my computer goes into the state i described in the 2nd Paragraph.

I just thought i'd tell you people and give you something else to discuss and get down to the bottom of considering we have come to a conclusion about the router that we should all Phone BT and get a new one :tazz:

Thanks for Your Time and enjoy this Topic

NetworkMan ;)

Edited by Networkman, 01 July 2005 - 09:19 PM.

Advertisements

onibaba

onibaba

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Glad u got sorted sicaroo, technology can be a real sh*t when it aint goin smooth, just be sure your x box NT setting as described in my previous post is 1 otherwise u get all kinds of limiting problems,, :tazz:

Sicaroo

Sicaroo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Not entirely sorted. My BT exchange is crapped up (they even said so themselves) and although all the settings are correct it can't connect to Xbox Live. Which is a bit odd, becuase I was able to connect this morning at 2:30am - or I was hallusinating (sp) from lack of sleep.

I'm still hoping.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you give the router a bit off TLC and us the ethernet it will run fine it is still capable of being used as a hotplate though, but you can make the most of this by A.Turning it upside down which not only helps but gives you a flat surface. and B. Use it to keep your cup of tea warm in the mornin.

I am getting a new router as im building a new pc and i dont want to run LAN cable through my house just to plug into this infernal thing that will probably burn the houde down if i ever left it on overnight. So im going wireless probably getting a nice belikin or us robotics modem and will never have a problem with this again.

By the way is anyone else still waiting on there speed upgrade from BT i havent even got the letter just a few leaflets saying they will upgrade it. Its bloody ridiculus though that new customers are getting it while existing customers have had to wait over 6 months.

I refuse to again phone BT as it is a premium number for the helpline to get a new one wich will more than likely be just as crap, buy yourself a new one everyone i know with one of these is and it will last you longer and with all these new fangled consoles to come out you want a wireless access point anyway.

wayne_8585

wayne_8585

• Pip
  • 5 posts
you should just come away from BT if thats all they offer and come with Zen Internet. they have unrivalled technical support and customer service. they'll even configure the routers for you, so no messing about. just plug and play =)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have a friend with zen and he says its great, but he pays more for his than i do with BT and with BT you get 2.2meg line and he only gets a 1meg.