Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Computer Starting Up

• Please log in to reply

sw619

sw619

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi. I've been having a problem with my computer the past few days.

Basically, I'd push the power button on my computer, and while it seems like the computer starts up since the fan begins to run, the BIOS doesn't beep and I don't get anything on my monitor that shows the computer starting up. It's like the computer is on standby, and I can't get it out of it. This also happened once when I actually did put the computer on standby and left it there for about an hour and a half. When I tried to resume my session, it wouldn't get out of standby, so I had to turn the computer off and turn it back on.

The time varies, but it sometimes stays in the "standby" mode when I try to start up the computer for as long as five minutes. After that, the BIOS would beep and the computer would start normally. I already tried resocketing everything in my computer, thinking that the problem lies in the interior, or maybe I missed something. I'd like to know the source of this problem and how I can fix it.

BIOS: American Megatrends, Inc.

Thank you very much for your help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft have this for a PC which hangs between POST and log on

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314503

WhiteLion

WhiteLion

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi sw619, Welcome to GTG.com

There are several things you can do in order to fix this problem,

Firstly: Try to boot the computer in safe mode, if you dont know how there is a great tutorial here

once in safe mode run a spyware remover such as Ad-aware, then run Hijackthis!

After that has completed post a log file on the forums.

:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It sounds like a hardware problem to me because of the delay of the beep meaning the post has a delay in starting. This could be caused by a bad psu (power supply). But usually when this occurs (delay in post)when the fans don't spin up with the exception of the psu's fan.

If the fan you hear running is only the psu fan and not any other fan such as the cpu or case then I would try another psu.

If the psu fan runs and there is no other activity such as hdd lights or cpu fan spinning then I would also try another psu.

Rick

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi,

It sounds like a hardware problem to me because of the delay of the beep meaning the post has a delay in starting. This could be caused by a bad psu (power supply). But usually when this occurs (delay in post)when the fans don't spin up with the exception of the psu's fan.

If the fan you hear running is only the psu fan and not any other fan such as the cpu or case then I would try another psu.

If the psu fan runs and there is no other activity such as hdd lights or cpu fan spinning then I would also try another psu.

Rick

View Post

I checked today, and it seems that you're right. I opened up the case, and I didn't see any other fan running immediately when I started the computer except for the power supply fan. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to pick up a new power supply sometime soon.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome