Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Network Gaming

• Please log in to reply

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I dunno if this should be in the network forum, but I'm sure you'll let me know if it should.

I've recently moved into student accomodation, the internet service is provided by a company called KeySurf, it's all ben working fine since I got setup with them. I've been able to play loadsa games over the net as well as using torrent programs without having to setup any port forwarding.

BUT, I've been trying to play a game with a friend who has also just moved into the same accommodation building and it nothing works.

If we try a LAN game, the other guys computer doesn't show up.

If we try to connect by IP it doesn't find the other guy.

We even tried to play over the net with Battle for Middle Earth 2, we got into a room with other people, but the two of us can't connect to each other!!!!

The thing that is really puzzling me is that it still works fine if I play with anyone else i.e. someone not in the building. Even more bizzarely I'd played with my same friend only a week ago (when he was in his flat elsewhere, so not using the KeySurf service )and it all worked fine!!

We've phone KeySurf, they say that there's nothing ion the system that should be blocking the games.

Help ... please!!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Well I can answer the question in part.

Summary:
1: you can play all your games and surf the internet normally with no problems
2: you can't play games with anyone in the same building

question: how are you connecting to the net? do you go through a dsl modem or just plugin to a network jack?

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yip, thats a far more succinct way of summing up my problem.

To be honest I couldn't say for sure, but I don't know what a network jack is! Basically there is a port in each room with a network cable connection. I just connected that to my desktop and then the browser went to an 'account setup page with KeySurf'. I signed up and it all worked fine, aside from the problem above of course!

Thanks for your help!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Network jack, aka rj45, is what you just said. You plug your network cable into a wall jack.

So what I understand is that keysurf is the "access control" for you to access the internet. You may or may not have to have keysurf to access school resources. In other words I think the there is a local problem with how the network is configured that is preventing local sources from communcating properly.

I can think of a few reasons for this, both intentional and unintentional. I would contact your school IT people (preferably someone who supports the network) so you can explain that you are having issues with the network at your student housing where you are unable to connect to other people in the same building, but that you can connect to other people just fine outside of your building.

I am going to move this to the networking forum, but the thread link will stay the same.

Once you illeciet some more information from them, we can better determine what's happening.