Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prompt about screen resolution--» stuck!

• Please log in to reply

andredias

andredias

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi!

The problem has started 2 months ago and for no apparent reason. Whenever i play or try to play certain games, i get a red boxed prompt saying "To run this application, the screen resolution should not be less than 800x600". I know my screen resolution so that´s not the problem (1024x760), and i tried changing the pixels too. Nothing! it gets worse, some games i can play, regardless of the prompt warning and getting pulled back to desktop (i.e. System Shock 2) and others i can´t (i.e. USM 98-99).

Do you have any idea of what is this all about?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by andredias, 25 July 2007 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it sounds like your system is to far advanced for those old games. You can try running the game in compatability mode. You will need to change your screen resolution to 800x600 and then see what happens.

andredias

andredias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for replying starjax!

i´m already running in compatibility mode. In the usm 98-99 case, i even had to configure the exe file with microsoft application compatibility tool, because otherwise the game wouldn´t run on xp. And i tried every screen resolution possible! what´s weird is that some games i can play even with the prompt appearing and this onei can´t. Nontheless, why the prompt??? it never happen before, and i´ve been playing old games for years now...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it's probably due to a recent Microsoft patch that is causing additional compatibility issues

andredias

andredias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah starjax! now i´m having thesame problem with downloaded demos from msn games, so the problem isn´t with classic games. what can i do to solve this, remove latest microsoft´s patches or maybe a restore point? wouldn´t i loose other things i installed recently?

andredias

andredias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the red border in the prompt, makes me think it might have something to do with my graphics card. ATI Radeon 9250, 128 MB. But i have for a while now, long before the dreaded prompt. Does it help? i couldn´t find any update for the card.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
could you post a screenshot? that might help me diagnose the issue better.

andredias

andredias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry Starjax, can you explain me the process of capturing a screenshot? i know a few things, but that isn´t one of them, as i never needed to do it. :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
while the error is occuring hit the button on the keyboard labeled "print screen".

go to start, run, and enter "mspaint". This will launch Microsoft Paint. Right click in the empty space (in mspaint) and paste. Then click on File, then save as. Give the file a name and select jpg as the file type. This will save the file as a jpeg instead of the default bmp. We want to do this as it makes the file size much smaller.

Once you have the capture done, reply to this thread. just under the reply window, on the right side you will see a place to Browse. click browse and look for the screen shot. once selected then click upload to attach screen shot to this message.

If you have problems please let me know.

andredias

andredias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here you go Starjax, thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• prompt.JPG

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you know what your video card is?

go to start, run and enter "dxdiag". Let it go through it's activities. Once it has completed please select "save all information". This will prompt you to choose a location to save it to. Please attach this file.

AndreRFD

AndreRFD

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I already told you it´s Ati Radeon 9250. but, here you go.

Attached Files

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Unfortunately our options are limited at this point. SS2 is the only one that has any decent support via the looking glass forums. Apparently there is a lot of issues with xp compatability. The best thing I can recommend is to reinstall the video drivers and see if that helps.

AndreRFD

AndreRFD

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks anyway Starjax!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
possible workaround
have you tried setting your screen res to 800 x 600 before launching the game...