Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay, I just picked up a new system today, erm well Server.

Following Specs,
Dell Poweredge 2650 1u rack mount
Intel Xeon 3.0 CPU
256mb ddr pc2100 ECC ram (question)

I don't know the other specs off hand but can I use Non-ECC (standard desktop) ram in the server or do I need to get ECC ram. I have 2 512's around that I would throw in the machine but I don't want to risk killing the board to find out.

And if I need to use ECC/Registered any place to get about 2-4gb to start off with, and keep it cheap.

Another Question can I use unbuffered instead of buffered ECC?

Specs just say ECC, they don't state either buffered or not.

Edited by amw_drizz, 22 February 2010 - 02:04 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The memory supported by that server:
http://www.crucial.c.......l=Dell&cat=

The term "registered" is the same as buffered ECC.

Your system supports ECC. You can put non-ECC modules into an ECC system, but be sure not to mix ECC and non-ECC modules within a system. Install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
So in theory, I could pull the one ECC / R module out and replace with 2 512 Non-ECC Rame

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
One last question,

Since my Server only came with one CPU I was looking at getting a second one identical to what I have (intel xeon 3.06 socket style)

There are 2 cpu options for the xeon 3.06 Dell 1938 (which is what I think I need) and U0622. I have no solid pics of the 2 cpus to compare so by going on description I need the 1938 since that is socket, and the U0622 is slot from what I've read. Just want to make sure before I drop $80 on a CPU kit.

Another note, I will not be trying my Non-Ecc / Unbuffered ddr ram in my server, I went ahead and picked up 4 1gb sticks for the machine.

Even with the 256mb in it right now, the buffered must make some type of difference since this server hasn't dogged on me since I configured it.