Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendations for Gaming

• Please log in to reply

LU1S90

LU1S90

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi. i've been gaming with an Intel Extreme Integrated 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller for too long now. it's crap. I've only played Call of Duty and SWAT 4 currently with this controller and i kno these games can run WAY better than they are now with a new graphics card. so now i'm out to get a new graphics card with some transform and lighting kind of thing because SWAT 4 sometimes asks me for that. so if someone could please recommend me a good value price graphics card that isn't too expensive, it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

P.S. - heres the specs in case you want to see them

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor
512 MB DDR SDRAM memory
160 GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive
DirectX 9.0c

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Im currently using a Asus GeForce FX 5700 and it works very nicely and plays almost all games- i use it for halo, battlefield, far cry...etc :tazz: Not the greatest but a good budget card that does alot

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i wud go for NVIDIA 6600GT or if your really a hardcore gamer then get the 6800 ULTRA thats the card i have i played swat 4 with no worries and doom 3 :tazz:

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Yea..I got the 6600gt too. Its a TANK. Also upgrade to 1gb of ram b/c the cost of flash memory is lower than ever. (60$ for a 512 stick). Also, use Newegg.com or Zipzoomfly.com they have really good prices.

Edit: If you don't have Transform and Lighting then your running of Intel Extreme Grpahics which is an integrated chip. Im sensing a DELL here. Check your MOBO for a AGP or PCI-E(Not PCI) slot. Dell likes to not inlcude those making your upgrade options limited to a PCI card like a 5200.

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 22 June 2005 - 07:09 AM.

LU1S90

LU1S90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
HP Pavilion

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Go for the ATI Radeon 9250 with 256 mb of video memory.It costs only $130.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
No dont go for that ATI card ill tell u one thng that most ATI cards dont have ANTI-aliasing (AA) all nvidia cards have (AA) so dont go for any or most ati cards because there rubbish NVIDIA are the best and qualtiy make :tazz:

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Buy a nVidia 5700 they are $70 on Newegg.con

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yep, no radeon ... i run with a nVidia 5950 ultra, things great ... and im looking to get the 6600gt.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get the ATI radeon x800 or x800xl its well worth the price the 9xxx series of radeons werent the best but the x800 series whips the nvidia cards up and down the table its in the same price range as the 6600GT and is as good as a 6800GT. 6600GTs are really terrible value for money as well they should be no more than a 100 pounds yet the retail at anyhting between 130 and 150 and the 256meg version which is really essential for modern games and those about to come out is more expensive than most x800xls.

And they have AA and AF and do it much better than a 6600GT.

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
For budget, I'd go with this:
ASUS N6200/TD/128 Geforce 6200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

For power, I'd go with this:
ASUS N6600 GT/TD/128M Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Just my two cents! :tazz:

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Why Go For ATI there rubbish cards Nvidia outrun ATI by miles... Listen get the Nvidia ULTRA tht is much better than the GT in speed wise

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Yep, no radeon ... i run with a nVidia 5950 ultra, things great ... and im looking to get the 6600gt.

View Post

Don't bother, the 5950 is a REALLY good card, the 6600gt isnt that much better believe it or not, i would wait until the 7600gt comes down in price...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If ATI arent as good then why can a 190 pound x800xl out perform a 250 pund 6800GT. Nvidia prices are way to high if ATI wasnt as good it would be ok but they are as good or better at making cards so they cant keep there prices up for much longer. Also the new ATI cards will trounce the 7800s so they are going to have to drop the price.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
So.. Nvidia P I S S all over ATI you just wate untill the 7800GTX comes out now that will put a stop to ATI ...7800GTX has Far more power thats why its in the PS3