Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover Unallocated Drive

• Please log in to reply

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your time and help.

During a previous problem I re-installed XP Pro and by mistake deleted the 'partition 'E' which was my USB 40Gb backup HDD.

I went into Disk Manager and followed the instructions at: http://kbserver.nerg...les/n101625.asp

At step '8' I selected 'Do not format this partition' and ensured that in step '9' the item File system read 'none'.

However after a restart drive 'J' now shows up on my PC under Computer Management, Disk Management as follows:

Top Menu Section:

Volume: (J)
Layout: Partition
Type: Basic
File system: [blank]
Capacity: 37.25 Gb
Free Space: 37.25 Gb
% Free: 100
Fault tolerance: No
Overhead: 0%

Lower Menu Section:

Disk 2: Basic - 37.25 Gb - Online - (J:) - 37.25Gb - Healthy (Active)

I cannot access the drive from Windows Explorer as each time I try to read it I get a message to 'format' the drive which I do not want to do.

Two programs: File Scavenger and Active@Partition Recovery search and find files on the disk, some of which I would like to recover.

Can anyone help with getting the disk working without formatting it to NTFS or FAT32?

With thanks,

KH

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you need to use a data recovery software.... I have used getdataback with great success... they are not cheap but it works quite well... There are others but I can't recommend them as I have never used them.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi shard92

Yes, eventually used Active@ Partition Recovery Tool Kit [premium] and recovered partition then files. A long and frightening process that took all night, the scan of the affected drive took 15 hours. Eventually when files were recovered and safely stored I reformatted the old backup drive but on copying files to it it gave some errors 'mft? so a new drive was purchased. I use COMODO Backup which now works well.

Thanks for the advice.

KH

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yep no problem... By the way for data recovery 15 hours is not bad... it can take a very long time depending on what the original problem was

glad you got it sorted...