Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering data from vista

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Ok in the past I have recovered my documents from a windows xp machine that has crashed by taking ownership of the files on a different machine.... Is this something you can still do with Vista.... I assume you could but I know they increased security on vista and I've never had to do it.... a friend called today and said his vista laptop will not start after trying to install sp1... he wants to get his data off and put it on his desktop so he can redo the laptop.... I'm just not familiar enough with vista yet to know if this is possible or if it is, if there is a different procedure... any help appreciated

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It would be easier to fix the problem.
If your system isn't bootable, or you don't trust it to boot properly, one way to get around this is to boot the Windows Vista DVD and use the Repair / System Restore option to run System Restore remotely on your Windows installation. You might also want to run Startup Repair from the same menu if booting continues to be problematic. Note that if you don't have a Vista installation disc, you can borrow someone else's to get up and running. It doesn't have to be the exact same disc you installed Vista with.
The problem can usually be fixed using the recovery console.
Here are instructions for fixing the master boot record.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thanks he is suppose to come by after 3pm today when his wife gets home... I'll find out more once he is here... How much risk is there to his data doing this? With xp I've always backed up data just in case I can't get it running again....

thanks again.... I'll post more once I see his machine...

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
There is no risk to data by using the recovery console.
Of course if he can not get the machine to boot you can always slave the hard drive on your machine and recover the data first.
Fixing the MBR should repair the machine, but please teach the user to back up the data.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah he didn't learn with his xp system I somehow dont' think he will learn with the vista one....

Can I slave his drive and recover even though his profile is password protected? can I take ownership in vista like you can in xp?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The OS will not be running .
When you change permissions, actually take ownership of them. And, make sure
you check the box to have the change propagate to all subfolders and
containers.

Copy the files/folders from his hard drive to disc.
Permissions will not be enabled once they are moved.(copied.)

Edited by hfcg, 05 August 2008 - 12:51 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Ok thanks I've actually done that with xp before but I'm still rather new to vista and wasn't sure if that had changed the ball game again....

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I did this with this method on a customer's computer.

http://www.howtogeek...-menu-in-vista/

SRX660