Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redirected from Malware forum

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Also having this problem if you have any idea
http://forums.worldo...h...80575&sid=1

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's something to do with my modem?

Advertisements

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Review of symptoms: New router, signal very strong; 20 minutes of use; signal very low.
If nothing changed, the new router becomes very suspect.

However, when it comes to RF & WIFI, the physical setup is important. The manual will probably tell you that some separation is needed between the router & computer (on the order of 6'). After considering separation, then walls, floors, pipes, and conduit affect signal strength. It is only a matter of inches and your computer is setting in a 'shadow'. Re-position antennas: vertical, horizontal, 45º.

The symptom: very low signal & 24Mbps is somewhat confusing. 2.4Mbps is more consistent with a very low signal.

Have a friend come over with a laptop (with wifi capability) to give you another reading of the signal strength & throughput.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
A few feet away the signal on my laptop is Excellent.

My signal strength goes from very low to good to low to very good on a whim every 2 seconds.

My computer is about..40-50 feet away

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Changing channels is something to try. Channels 1, 4, 7, 11 should cover the spectrum. Some channels will propagate better than others in your environment (building materials, location of the router, interference).

Without a proper testing tool, it is impossible to map the signal. 50' distance on the same floor should be within range in most situations. I put in a wifi network at a church using access points (point-to-point bridging). Masonry walls and floors are signal stoppers (50% reduction for each wall). Kitchens create quirky shadows. Do not locate the wireless router on or behind a large metal surface (like a refrigerator). Remember to try different antenna positions. 45º could improve things if 2 floors are involved.

Rapid fluctuations sounds like interference. It would be helpful to have another laptop confirm the symptom. Otherwise, perhaps substituting your old router will confirm with the same symptom. I cannot think of a test to isolate this to the new router. New does not mean that it can't fail early.

Some routers have the capability to act as a bridge. This would extend the range of the base router. This solution (or call it a complication) only works on signal propagation. It does not address bad hardware.

Any more info may be a distraction. I have the tendancy to overload with info.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
What do I do about this error message:

Could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Impletation, Version=2.0.2861.40061, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The system could not find the file specified.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
This seems to speak to the problem: http://forums.guru3d...amp;postcount=4

And this: http://help.lockergn...pict580370.html

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Most unfortunately, my computer's performance does not seem to have improved since before I reformatted.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Starting to look like hardware...
Have you ever done a PCPitstop test?
http://www.pcpitstop...top/default.asp

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Test Results Summary
Computer Name: ONI
Date Tested: Fri Dec 14 07:29:30 EST 2007

This system has enough power for most applications and web browsing, but will not give you the best experience for fast-action games, video editing, and computing-intensive work. If you are mainly using it for web browsing, you can probably get by with a few simple upgrades and regular system maintenance. Otherwise, consider buying a new system.

System: A winner! Intel Celeron, 3060 MHz
Memory: Minor Problem 1536MB RAM
Disk: Minor Problem Drive C
Video: A winner! ATI Radeon X1050
Internet: Minor Problem MSIE 7.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727
Windows: Minor Problem Windows XP Home SP2
Security: A winner!
Compare: A winner!

Performance-Related Windows Settings
The following settings may be helpful in diagnosing general system performance problems.

Setting name Value
Video acceleration disabled No
Paging of kernel disabled No
Screen saver running during tests No
NOIDE key found in registry No
Running 32-bit code on 64-bit Windows No
System Restore disabled No
Large System Cache enabled No
Has batteries No
Hibernate enabled Yes
HIBERFIL.SYS present Yes
Hibernate policy in use No
Sleep/Resume policy in use Yes
Running on battery power No

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The test results page should offer tips to make changes to improve performance. Many of those things do not apply to my situation and/or are outside my experience.

The Pitstop forums have a section in which test results are examined and discussed: http://forums.pcpits...php?showforum=6

Advertisements

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
This just in:

The processor performance of this system, 1745 MIPS (millions of integer operations per second), is significantly lower than similar systems with the same type of processor running at the same clock rate, which perform at 4713 MIPS, on average.

Maybe we have a culprit; the processor?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Hardware always trumps software.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Is there a method for us to indulge further into analyzing the processor?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Probably, but I'm really not a hardware guy. I suggest starting a new thread with that issue as topic. That will attract more attention than continuing on in this one. Some of the other staff are much better equipped to help with this.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Okay..thanks for all the assistance you've given over the past few weeks, I've learned a lot even though my computer isn't fixed

I've done a lot of researching, however, and I've come to an ultimatum that I'm buying a new system.
I was originally going to buy a high-end alienware laptop; however, my good friend and I started chatting a bit, and he helped me manually select parts(that are all compatible) on newegg.com to build my own machine(I wanted a laptop, but apparantly building them isn't worth it so I'm making a desktop); it's
/almost/ as good as the alienware machine I wanted, but also only $1,676 instead of $3,500.

Let's just hope I can build it, eh?

Also just to add on, I ran that PCPitstop test like nine times and back-to-back performance on my disk cache fluctuated between 50% and then sometimes 80-120%. My processor got up to 4,791 compared to the 1,700something a few days ago.

None of it makes a lot of sense.

I think I'll keep this computer locked up somewhere and one day figure out what was wrong with it.

Gotta put up with this stupid thing for another couple weeks, though, unfortunately, until I buy it.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 18 December 2007 - 03:32 PM.