- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Content is republished with permission from Malwarebytes.

What is AntiMalware?

The Malwarebytes research team has determined that AntiMalware is a fake anti-malware application. These so-called "rogues" use intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have been compromised. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these threats. In extreme cases the false threats are actually the very trojans that advertise or even directly install the rogue. You are strongly advised to follow our removal instructions below.

How do I know if I am infected with AntiMalware?

This is how the main screen of the rogue application looks:

Posted Image

You will find these icons on your desktop and in your taskbar:

Posted Image

And see these warnings:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

How did AntiMalware get on my computer?

Rogue programs use different methods for spreading themselves. This particular one was installed by a trojan.

Extra warning: this rogue tries to remove our program by triggering the uninstaller.

Posted Image

It does not matter what you do with this warning, it will trigger the uninstaller anyway.

Posted Image

Do not click OK in the prompt the uninstaller will display when it is run. Click "No" to stop the uninstall.

How do I remove AntiMalware?

Our program Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove this rogue application.
  • Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a check-mark is placed next to the following:

• Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. Reboot your computer if prompted.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.

Is there anything else I need to do to get rid of AntiMalware?
  • The shortcut called AntiMalware(.lnk) on the desktop can be deleted if it belonged to the rogue.

How would the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware help protect me?

We hope our application has helped you eradicate this malicious software. If your current security solution let this infection through, you might please consider purchasing the FULL version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for additional protection.

As you can see below the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware would have protected you against the AntiMalware rogue. It would have warned you before the rogue could install itself, giving you a chance to stop it before it became too late.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Technical details for experts

Signs in a HijackThis log:
C:\DOCUME~1\{username}\LOCALS~1\Temp\clspackxq.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\{username}\LOCALS~1\Temp\wscsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\antimalware.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [clspackxq.exe] C:\DOCUME~1\{username}\LOCALS~1\Temp\clspackxq.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AntiMalware] "C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\antimalware.exe" -noscan

Note: clspackxq.exe and wscsvc32.exe are not random, but I have also seen richtx64.exe a lot.

Alterations made by the installer:
File System
  ===============
	In the existing folder C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
	  Adds the file AntiMalware.lnk"="20:29 22/12/09 606 bytes
	In the existing folder C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Desktop
	  Adds the file AntiMalware Support.lnk"="20:29 22/12/09 1486 bytes
	  Adds the file AntiMalware.lnk"="20:29 22/12/09 588 bytes
	In the existing folder C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp
	  Adds the file clspackxq.exe"="20:23 22/12/09 671744 bytes
	  Adds the file dhdhtrdhdrtr5y"="20:23 22/12/09 671744 bytes
	  Adds the file uac7842.tmp"="20:29 22/12/09 4546960 bytes
	  Adds the file uacaf7e.tmp"="20:29 22/12/09 37376 bytes
	  Adds the file uacb051.tmp"="20:29 22/12/09 49152 bytes
	  Adds the file uacb17d.tmp"="20:29 22/12/09 1601536 bytes
	  Adds the file wscsvc32.exe"="20:25 22/12/09 524800 bytes
	Adds the folder C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Start Menu\Programs\AntiMalware
	  Adds the file AntiMalware Support.lnk"="20:29 22/12/09 1498 bytes
	  Adds the file Uninstall AntiMalware.lnk"="20:29 22/12/09 590 bytes
	  Adds the file AntiMalware.lnk"="20:29 22/12/09 600 bytes
	Adds the folder C:\Program Files\AntiMalware
	  Adds the file help.ico"="20:29 22/12/09 15086 bytes
	  Adds the file antimalware.exe"="20:29 22/12/09 1601536 bytes
	  Adds the file uninstall.exe"="20:29 22/12/09 49152 bytes
	  Adds the file amext.dll"="20:29 22/12/09 37376 bytes
	  Adds the file malw.db"="20:29 22/12/09 4546960 bytes

Registry
  ===============
	[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SimpleShlExt]
	  "(Default)"="'{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000}'"
	[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000}]
	  "(Default)"="'SimpleShlExt Class'"
	[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000}\InprocServer32]
	  "ThreadingModel"="'Apartment'"
	  "(Default)"="'C:\PROGRA~1\ANTIMA~1\amext.dll'"
	[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SimpleShlExt]
	  "(Default)"="'{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000}'"
	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AntiMalware]
	  "Infected"="9"
	  "LastScan"="1261510324"
	  "InfectedFiles"="'C:\WINDOWS\System32\acctres.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\pciidex.sys,C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\wdmaud.sys,
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem\wmi.mfl,C:\WINDOWS\clock.avi,C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\pala.ttf,C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\smaf1257.fon,C:\WINDOWS\Help\drvvfp.chm,C:\WINDOWS\Help\osk.hlp,'"
	  "dbsigns"="'61473'"
	  "dbver"="'1.0'"
	  "swver"="'1.0'"
	  "Data"="':1866:1977:2088:2199:2310:2421:2532:2643:2754:'"
	  "GUID"="'854134848540878785404093'"
	  "FD"="0"
	  "SecStatus_5"="1"
	  "SecStatus_4"="1"
	  "SecStatus_3"="1"
	  "Settings_0"="0"
	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
	  "AntiVirusDisableNotify" went from  1 ==> 0
	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]
	  "{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000}"="'AntiMalware extension'"
	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AntiMalware]
	  "URLInfoAbout"="'http://support.activesecuritys.org'"
	  "UninstallString"="'C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\Uninstall.exe'"
	  "Publisher"="'AntiMalware Software'"
	  "DisplayVersion"="'1.0'"
	  "DisplayName"="'AntiMalware'"
	  "DisplayIcon"="'C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\antimalware.exe'"

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3410
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

12/22/2009 8:54:43 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-22 (20-54-43).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 94142
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 15

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\antimalware.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\antimalware (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\antimalware (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\clspackxq.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\antimalware.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\clspackxq.exe (Rogue.Installer) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\wscsvc32.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\dhdhtrdhdrtr5y (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\uacaf7e.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\uacb051.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\uacb17d.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\help.ico (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\malw.db (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\Uninstall.exe (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Desktop\AntiMalware Support.lnk (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Start Menu\Programs\AntiMalware\AntiMalware Support.lnk (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Start Menu\Programs\AntiMalware\AntiMalware.lnk (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Start Menu\Programs\AntiMalware\Uninstall AntiMalware.lnk (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AntiMalware\amext.dll (Rogue.AntiMalware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

As mentioned before the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware could have protected your computer against this threat.
We use different ways of protecting your computer(s):
  • Dynamically Blocks Malware Sites & Servers
  • Malware Execution Prevention
Save yourself the hassle and get protected.

Advertisements

mikefern

mikefern

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Metallica,

I had/have this Antimalware, ran the Anti-Malware program and still having issues with my computer. The computer will not start up properly. It times out and reboots and I can only operate on SafeMode w/ Networking. I ran Anti-Malware again and it found nothing. Can you help? I'm desperate, tried just about everything I can possibly find or think of.

Thanks!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi mikefern,

These guides are meant to remove the rogue scanners only.
Often however they come in bundles or with other malware attached.
If these guides do not fully solve your problems, continue following the instructions here:
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

mikefern

mikefern

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried that too...should i start a new post and paste in all those logs that are requested?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Yes please. One of the experts will help you as soon as possible. :)

Trident

Trident

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've been fighting Antimalware Doctor since yesterday. It looks very similar to the malware shown here.
I've been able to run SuperAntiSpyware and my Vipre A/V as well as CC Cleaner and ATF cleaner. They seem to have gotten rid of almost everything, but I still can't get rid of Antimalware Doctor. Task Manager is disabled (grayed out on alt+taskbar and error message when run... Taskmgr). I can install Malwarebytes, but when it gets to the end of the install, mbam.exe gets deleted- probably by A/D. I finally got rkill.com to show up and partially work on my Desktop- but it never disables A/D. Somehow A/D had also set all of my C:/ folders as read only, so I couldn't save anything to them. What a PITA!!
I can post a HT log if that helps.
Anyone have any ideas?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
MBAM will remove AntiMalware Doctor, but I'm still working on the removal instructions.

Try using rkill to stop the process from deleting mbam.exe
Double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with AntiMalware Doctor and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next steps.
(install and run MBAM as described above)

If you do not succeed post in the appropriate forum:
http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Trident

Trident

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

MBAM will remove AntiMalware Doctor, but I'm still working on the removal instructions.

Try using rkill to stop the process from deleting mbam.exe
Double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with AntiMalware Doctor and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next steps.
(install and run MBAM as described above)

If you do not succeed post in the appropriate forum:
http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Thanks. After I posted this, I used CCleaner and msconfig to stop a few more items from starting on startup and then rebooted. On the second attempt, I was able to completely install MBAM and am running a deep/complete scan right now. I don't know if rkill.com had anything to do with it... I kept getting error messages and the black/msdos window would only stay open for a few seconds.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
No matter how you got rid of it, the important thing is you managed. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.