Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removed Deal Time app, Dell 4600 won't boot past welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

shobbs8132

shobbs8132

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there anything I can do to get my computer to boot up again? It was running SO slow to do anything so I wanted to clean it up some. I used Windows XP Manager to remove a program called Deal Time, which I didn't even know was on my computer, and now it won't boot up past the blue MSN welcome screen. I hear noise and see the green light flash sporadically but nothing happens. That Deal Time program was HUGE. It contained over 4000 files, broken registry files and about 12 folders. I did choose the option of making a back-up registry, but I can't even access it because my computer won't get past the welcome screen.

BTW, I have already tried booting in Safe mode.

Any help would be most appreciated. Just as anyone else could say, I have very valuable data on that computer like the pictures from my son's first few years.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

shobbs8132

shobbs8132

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any ideas at all??

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would try System Restore from safe mode.

shobbs8132

shobbs8132

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I've tried rebooting and Safe mode and it still gets hung up in the same place which is the blue welcome screen. I would like to try a system restore to the day before it messed up like you suggested. Can I get to system restore by using the f2 or f12 or f8 keys when I turn it on (before it freezes on the blue screen)?